Aaron's Evo V

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Rygar, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

Had one bracket come off. Had to bend it a little but seems to be ok for now. I'm keeping the tools in the trunk for now just in case I have to stop and take them off altogether ;)

2. Rygar

I have been thinking about getting a boost gauge, but know little about them. Product suggestions anyone?

3. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Defi is a popular choice today.
    GReddy electronic ones if used are cheapish
    Mechanical ones are slightly more responsive if you have a short direct route for the vacuum line... Other wise go electronic
    JDM points for GReddy and kg/cm reading vs psi

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  4. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

I love my GReddy gauges for temp and pressure. I watched eBay for a while and found the electronic ones with memory and warning features.

Stay away from Autometer in my opinion. I've had 2 of those fail (both were mechanical boost gauges and did not like winter).

5. Speed Stick

Speed Stick The Halifax kid

^ I agree on the autometer. Mine is crappy.

I think the defi are the coolest, if I got gauges in my Chaser that's what I'd get.

6. Rygar

Thanks for all the input!
    Sounds like Defi is the favourite choice here!

7. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Id give these a shot

pitty likes this.
  8. Rygar

Any particular reason you recommend them? Personal experience?

9. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Personal experience; unfortunately no.

But if they are anything like Stacks Multifunction displays; which lots of people use to replace factory gauges, then you cant beat them. Plus they have user set alarm levels, which can in turn be wired to turn on fans, pumps, etc.

I like the fact that they are full sweep (270), read vacuum, and have peak boost recall. I think they look pretty darn clean, not super flashy and have good colour options.

Cheers.

10. Rygar

Cool, thanks Murrdawg, appreciate the options and info.

11. Rygar

So plug two and three had a white film above the thread, and partially lining the plug shaft, and the coils). I am not sure if it is from the rubber of the coils or what, but the business end seemed ok.
    [​IMG]
    The fourth plug had some rust spots on it, maybe from idling it once a month while in storage last year:
    [​IMG]
    Otherwise, not sure what to think. The gap is tight on them, under .023.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will test the car on the weekend most likely, and see what difference changing the plugs has on the boost cut/stalling issue. I feel it may have gotten better last year and came back a little this year, as opposed to never getting better at all.

I should also add that the bolts holding the COP onto the engine were loose. I must have not tightened them when I put it on, which seems unlikely but there you go. Coils seemed to be on ok.

At any rate...wasn't the plugs!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  12. Rygar

I have a question in regards to piping, hoping to get peoples' opinions.
    If I wanted to reduce airflow (easier than trying to find someone to tune the car), what would the effect be of removing the aftermarket intercooler piping and replacing it with stock, and not changing out the IC? (assume aftermarket IC and piping).

I assumed that would be fine but better to ask a stupid question than it is to perform a stupid action :)

Same applies to the intake piping.

13. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Hi flow = low pressure
    Lo flow = hi pressure

So im theory reducing flow will increase temp at intake manifold.

Im trying to figure out your purpose tho. Is your car running rich and retard because youve added these?

Or are you seeing a lean condition so your reducing the air it receives ?

14. Rygar

WOT results in violent sputtering. I was unable to find a leak (which doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one there), but it's been suggested to me that since the car has aftermarket piping at the IC, intake and exhaust it would need either a tune or stock piping replacements.

I replaced the recirculating valve with a stock unit, which was definitely faulty and that helped some, or at least it seemed to at the time.
    I've also put a 4 coil set up on it, replaced the plugs twice and did the fuel filter.

As for lean/rich I have no idea, tbh. See pics of plugs above, might give someone more knowledgeable an idea in that regard?

15. mekazilla

mekazilla Theoretician

When you tried your friend's intake earlier in the thread, did you have his maf on as well?
    What plugs are you running? I run bpr7es gapped a bit bigger at 0.65-0.7mm.
    Does it sputter if you take the revs and speed up over 100 slowly off boost?

16. Rygar

Yes, we had entire intake including the MAF, and his BOV.
    First set of plugs were PGR7As, the second were the copper variant of the BPR7s, and I am pretty sure I've gapped them significantly smaller than that (maybe around .3).
    It only sputters under heavy throttle. Doesn't have to be WOT, but it needs a lot of juice to do it. If I accel slowly off boost there's no issues, I don't think (I'd test this if the car wasn't in storage).

17. mekazilla

mekazilla Theoretician

so. as always 100% boost leak test first. also clean maf and try that. if it seems better after clean maf then you might need a new one.
    will it sputter if in neutral and you raise and hold the revs?

18. Rygar

I have not seen it sputter when I rev it in neutral but I don't think I've revved it and held it there.
    I have cleaned the MAF a few times with no effect (except the time the cleaner was still on the sensor when I fired the car up and the idle went bonkers).

Also, and this is probably a needed piece of info - from heavy boost to neutral, clutch-in, the revs dip before bouncing back to where they should be. Used to be it would stall very easily on the rev dip. That improved to the point where it dips but doesn't stall as much, but under really high boost I think it will still stall.

19. mekazilla

mekazilla Theoretician

The rev dip sounds typical and probably not linked to main issue.
    Has anyone messed with the biss screw while tinkering with idle?

20. Rygar

Not since I've had the car at least :)