Aaron's Evo V

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Rygar, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

Probably have an accident driving by office buildings and looking at myself in the windows....

2. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

I always look it reflections lol.... Just to make sure I look as cool as I feel ...lol

3. CP9A

CP9A New Member

So did you break the flare nut?

Also, on a related note for you Evo owners, did you notice that the fuel tank in our cars seem pressurized? Every time i open the fuel cap to fuel up, it's like opening a new bottle of coke. It was even more evident when i changed the filter, fuel kept coming up, and out of the flare nut. It took me the second day to realize that i should open the fuel cap to relieve the positive pressure. After that, did fuel stop coming out of the fuel lines. Did you guys have the same situation?

4. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Do you have evap ? If working, evap usual depressurizes the gas tank.

5. Rygar

LOL

same here

I didn't break anything, thankfully!

And yes, same with my gas tank. I was opening the gas tank to relieve some pressure instead of disconnecting the relay, it either worked or was coincidence as I only had some flow out of the lines instead of a gas-in-the-face explosion.

Something else I've been wondering - anyone have any suggestions for something for the front license plate?

6. CP9A

CP9A New Member

Really, you didnt disconnect the relay? I ran my engine, then disconnected the relay and let the engine starve to death when i did mine. Guess you got lucky lol.

I think i know what you're talking about, about the front license plate. You need a metal clip that has a hole that can can take a bolt. The clip will clip on to the plastic bumper, and then you can screw in a bolt to secure the license plate. Mine was rusted out so i asked a body shop, i got some clips from them.

7. Rygar

I just expanded the holes in the NS license plate and put it on the back.
    I'm looking for a novelty sort of idea to cover up the front space, like this
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MITSUBISHI-L...0159529754?hash=item53db2e4b1a&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Thanks to EvoIVOwner, ran Evoscan on the V today, although if I'm not mistaken we may have cleared the codes before scanning.
    Only thing that popped up was Vehicle Speed Sensor (24) and then we ran into laptop issues that prevented further use.

8. CP9A

CP9A New Member

So in NS do you only require the rear plates on or something?

9. Speed Stick

Speed Stick The Halifax kid

VSS, that might not be a bad fix if that's what it turns out to be.

Nova Scotia is only the rear plate.

10. Rygar

It would be alright but if I'm not mistaken that is only speedometer display. I think that would just effect the tach/speedometer and don't see how that could cause any of these issues.

11. Speed Stick

Ya I guess your right on that one.

You have a buddy who has one that just landed as well don't you? How is his running?

12. Rygar

I don't know anyone who just brought one in, actually.

Idle Air Control valve/stepper motor has been coming up more and more as I read. I may as well get the software and cable as well since I am not planning on selling the car any time soon ;)

13. Speed Stick

Oh ok I thought I remember Chris saying your buddy had one coming in. Nvm then lol.

I was gonna ask if his is running like a top then you could try and borrow a couple things off his engine to try.

Ya software and cable should make it fun, or just keep Chris's as he's got an sti now haha.

14. Rygar

It will work with Chris' sti until he swaps the ECU out ;)

I thought Erik may have offered to let me try his MAF sensor but I went back to look to see if he had and couldn't find it posted anywhere...

15. Speed Stick

Oh wasn't sure if it would work but I guess so. Could ask him I guess.

16. Rygar

Well OP2.0 cable arrived today. There is still just the one code on the engine (vehicle speed sensor 24).
    Using the live map tracer can't get boost to show up on the graph (shows in the legend), everything else seems to toggle on off as selected though.

First time using it though, and it isn't like I read any directions before hand....

I went from a stop, to good boost in second gear and depressed the clutch in order to have the car stall. It didn't stall but the tach dropped to near 0 and the dash lights flashed before catching itself.
    Then I parked it.
    Logged a few things but not sure what to make of it, if anything.

I did notice that the stepper motor (ISC steps) are changing so that isn't seized. Also the idle position switch didn't leave 0 the entire time...

17. Version4Owner

Version4Owner Chris

Hey Aaron, I actually just remembered something that may be helpful for you. When I was looking into tuning my 4 I was talking to a guy by the name of Walter. He lives in New Zealand (yeah I know, couldn't have picked a tuner who lives further away if I tried) and we were talking a bit about my issues. Here is the site I was looking at for my tune:

http://www.nzefi.com/packages/power-upgrade/mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-4-9/

It may actually be beneficial to send an email stating that you're interested in a mail order tune and ask them to help you out with your problems. Who knows, they may have seen this type of thing before.

Especially now that you have your cable you'll be able to do some specific logging of stuff and hopefully if you find someone who knows what to look for they can point you in the right direction.

18. Rygar

Thanks Chris. Did you send this to me before? I have seen this page before but I don't remember how I ended up here.

I might be close to their stage 1 without the BOV and retuned ECU lol

I have some great news in terms of my issues.

Thanks to some generous hours of work from Erik/Agency the issue has been identified as the recirculating valve. Might be some issue with the intake/piping but for sure to start that BOV has to be replaced.

We put his entire intake and valve in my car and it drove without my stalling and sputtering issues (also without the cool chatter that a broken valve makes!).

I need to replace that and then we'll see if anything else needs to be done. As we put the entire intake in my car, there could be more I'll need to replace but we will start with the BOV and go from there. I will keep this thread updated with progress.

19. Version4Owner

Version4Owner Chris

You still need the downpipe and the upgraded fuel pump yet! :p

I don't remember if I showed you that before or not. It's the only page I ever was able to find for tuning the earlier model evos.

Hmm I forgot that you replaced the entire intake. I wonder if his MAF had something to do with it? Either way I mean it seems like you'll be able to fix it now that you know where to look!

20. Rygar

He didn't think it was the MAF after we went for a spin (he also thinks I have an aftermarket down pipe...I think he said that anyway).

Even if the BOV is not the ENTIRE problem, it is encouraging to find a direction to go with it for sure. Might end up hanging around his shop all the time at this rate, lol