2005 Diahatsu Copen

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by David Smith, Jul 30, 2020.

1. David Smith

David Smith New Member

Starting a new thread on this car to document the process of purchasing/mods etc.

This car was purchased in April of 2019 after our trip to Japan. My wife fell in love with the Copens and wanted one so I started to process of discovering how I could make that happen. That's when I found this board and proceeded to read as much as I could and also research exporters. I chose Mark from Brave mostly due to feedback on this forum though Derek from Pacific was also considered. I went with the one who responded to my email first.

It took about 2 months to find the car I wanted to bid on and it was a bit of nail biter as the car only came up on USS Tokyo one day before the auction. Mark won the bid and was graceful enough to store the car for over a year as the earliest I could bring it over was April of 2020 (it's an April 2005 build).

It was loaded onto a RoRo the 3rd week of March and the next day pulled back off the RoRo due to COVID and the supposed closure of New West. Port. The car sat for an additional 2 months in Nagoya and I had no idea when it would ship. It did ship on the Green Ridge in May and finally arrived in New West July 7th, after a 6 week journey to Hawaii, Mexico, LA, San Diego, Tacoma and finally New Westminster.

The car had 40000km on it, relatively low mileage for a 2005. Most of them in auction had 80-100k on them. It has all original books, service history and all oem accessories still with it.

Mark was fantastic through the whole process. He sent around 100 pictures when he first received the car, kept me informed through the year of it sitting in Japan, and regular updates as to the status of shipping.

I had arranged transport with Livingston Int. from Vancouver to Edmonton and had paid for transport in March. This was by the suggestion of Al Thompson, the importer I used to clear the car. I didn't realize Livingston was going to put it on a train and was a bit worried about damages but at that point I was committed having already paid. Ben was kind enough to take some pictures for me of it at port in New West. so I had a record of condition should any damages occur. However, upon arrival and inspection the car only has 4" of ground clearance, not enough for the required 5" to go on train. So Livingston put it on a truck heading to Alberta and it arrived at their yard in Edmonton 2 days later. There was no extra charge from Livingston and all went well.

Having never driven a RHD before I was a bit nervous about how it would go. Turned out it's very easy and within a mile or so I was comfortable with lane position etc. I installed DRLs and yesterday had all 4 tires replaced since the Nankangs on it, while there was plenty tread, were weather cracked all the way around. I would assume this would be cause to fail the inspection . I'm taking it for the inspection today so hopefully it passes. I'll update this thread as things progress with the mods etc.
    DAIHATSU COPEN (6).jpg

tperkins likes this.
  2. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Fun thing about using Mark is when he sends you pictures and you can browse the background cars.

Looks like the Mercedes SUV turned white
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. David Smith

David Smith New Member

nice! that widebody amg in 2nd last pic is now cruising the streets of Edmonton. The Porsche in the last pic is Marks car now for sale in Calgary.

tperkins likes this.
  4. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

great looking car and nice write-up about the experience.

My wife also really likes those, and i think i will be getting her one from next summer to ad to her car collection (She has a JDM Mini as well)

5. David Smith

David Smith New Member

Thx Ben!

So the inspection went fine. I didn't realize I needed a OOP inspection form from registries so I ran back over to get one. They (registries) gave me a very hard time insisting that I needed to provide them with a Form 1 or they would not issue the inspection form. After almost an hour of arguing I contacted the importer and asked about the form 1 - he said it's not needed and to just show them the RIV form. What RIV form? Oh, he hadn't sent me the RIV form. Once he emailed that I had no other problems with the registries. I had First Gear in Edmonton to the inspection. They were good and informative. It should be noted First Gear does not actually do the inspection - they take the car to someone else close by who does the inspection. Fair enough and it was still done in the $150 quoted price.

Off today to grab registration and a license plate :)

6. OGHalo

OGHalo New Member

Your RIV form should be your Vehicle Importation Form 1, that's what I received with my paper work, the only difference from my situation to yours is I never needed to go to the dmv to request a oop inspection form because my first car was sent to a shop that my importer knows that works on jdm vehicles and they did the oop inspection for me, the only thing you would need is 4 documents that you received in the mail besides the oop inspection, Vehicle Importation Form 1 (RIV Form), bill of sale, and the export certificates one in Japanese and English translated. After that you'll be rolling in style :)

7. David Smith

David Smith New Member

All seemed to go better after the RIV form was sent to me :)

I picked up a cheap spring compressor and put in lowering springs over the weekend. Not sure I like them but we'll see. It dropped the front of the car by an inch and the back by 1/2 inch. The front tires not seem to rub every so slightly on tight corners and bad bumps. I think I may swap the front back to the originals. The extra clearance gives me a bit more piece of mind to put the car under my lift, but it will still fit with the original springs.

IMG_3527.jpg IMG_3523.jpg IMG_3524.jpg IMG_3521.jpg IMG_3526.jpg

8. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

What does it look like on the car? Also, where have you been finding these parts?

9. David Smith

David Smith New Member

Looks ok. I think the front looks too low. I'll get a pic up tomorrow. I've ordered most of the parts through Jesse Streeter either directly from the manufacturer or yahoo auctions japan.

10. David Smith

David Smith New Member

35D15E54-BE1B-4EFA-856D-D983C075B1D3.jpeg 04747AC9-1380-4537-994F-AD4C902797A8.jpeg 5A30C836-0411-453A-9927-4A6B054BF0D8.jpeg Yeah I think I have to take them out. Not interested in rolling the fenders and just too much rubbing.