2004 Honda 650 Rincon ATV "Restoration"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tperkins, Oct 22, 2014.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Haha, the troubleshooting was mostly done by my brother. I picked up some teflon washers and that should sort it out.. I am surprised that a quad battery can even put out 560amps to be honest.

The springs.. I don't know, the stock ones were much too soft, with the after market fender flares and the true 27" tires.. if rubs before the control arms go negative. And the stupid lift that the quad came with is so back yard it isn't even funny, it is just a piece of pipe sleeved over the shock between the spring, and I don't have the stock ones at the moment to take out the lift and only run the lift springs. So it is very stiff. I will have to figure something out.

2. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Some of the Chinese winches are rated at pulling like 260amps under load, 560amps is a whole lot of amps!! wow that is a seriously bad lift it had! thats killer, gotta get rid of that backyard lift and just run the springs, sounds terrible!! all that careful honda engineering gone to crap! they're supposed to have great ride quality I thought!

3. tperkins

Oh the winch wasn't taking any of that 560 amps, it was just running through the cable straight to ground :p I am sure it could have wrecked the winch if it was taking the grunt of that amperage. I know, it's a damn shame to have that lift lol.

4. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

LOL straight to ground! good gravy!! I used to not mind ground clearance quad until I drove lower quads that are vastly superior in off-cambers and preserving my life, I'm sold now, slap me on a set of 25" tires and color me Stuck and happy!

5. tperkins

I am right there with you, totally agree, couple winches and I can go through everything. Unfortunately, with how I purchased the quad I kind of have to maintain running a 27" tire (true 27" as in it measures to 27" where-as a lot of 28's measure like 26.5") I have to either just live with it or spend a pile of money on new tires so I can take the lift out :p

6. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

I totally get that! my last quad had a set of massivly heavy GBC Gators that were very tall at 27" as well, I fixed that with the 26" tires on my new machine. My friend runs 26" XTR Radials and they are very close to 27", fascinating how they size tires, same in Bicycle world, many lies are told in weight and width.

Hopefully you can score some stock shocks for cheap at some point and drop that harsh riding super lift you got!

tperkins likes this.
  7. tperkins

Fixed the winch by cutting an old teflon water jug. They shouldn't ground out anymore, if it does then I will figure something else out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also put the factory exhaust back on, which was actually a noticeable decrease in power, but at least I can use the quad for hunting now (which is why I bought it).
    [​IMG]
    Loaded up on the way to elk camp:
    [​IMG]
    The Toyota doesn't appreciate it as much, lowers the rear and raises the front (I can't get the rear tires into the box because it hits on the rails of my box cover)
    [​IMG]

8. tperkins

[​IMG]

Got stuck the other day whilst hunting, front winch wasn't working... so that sucked. Also, the hand warmers weren't working.. double sucks. Thirdly, the oil temperature light was on and the fan was not kicking in... triple sucks!

So, with my brother's help we found that there were two main circuits and both of the fuses were fine. Then we found that there was a broken wire on the second main circuit.. fixed that and voila! All the things started working again.

I was then looking in the tank with a flashlight... just because I was curious how the reserve tank worked and noticed a ton of junk in the gas tank. Dirt, metallic flakes, some wood. So we took the tank off and rinsed it out (which honestly only took 40 minutes? there are about 10 plastic rivets, 2 bolts holding plastic on, 2 bolts holding the tank on, and two straps holding it in place).

Oh! And I have a gun case on the front now.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  9. tperkins

Made it through another season.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. tperkins

I accidentally a stick through the thing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I bunch of rivets and Toyota mudflap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks stupid, but oh well. I knew I should have stuck to my heritage and rally stitched it.

IanB and pitty like this.
  11. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

I like that repair, very "field".

I mean, yeah. Your rivet spacing could be more even. ;)

12. tperkins

:p I considered measuring the spacing, but thought that might detract from the wildery look I was going for.

13. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

You know you're an elite ricer when you have a "look" you're going for in your cracked ATV fender repair.
    [​IMG]

14. tperkins

Pretty much feel like a rally driver on this quad, so it fits.

Truthfully, I was just too lazy / ain't care to measure.

15. tperkins

Went out yesterday. We still have a pile of snow!
    [​IMG]
    It overheated a few times, which makes sense. It was +2 so the snow was melting and was very very heavy, and deep. It was working hard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. tperkins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  17. IanB

IanB New Member

Our snow is destroyed here, rained on Monday. So much for my sledding trip this weekend...

18. tperkins

Wellllpppp I have been neglecting the maintenance on this unit, and I usually forget about it until hunting season then when I go to use it I think "oh right, that!"

So, in the next few days I have the following list to do (some have been done already):

-replace radiator (took another stick, this time it ripped a couple rows of fins off the rad... it wasn't leaking somehow but I am sure that it will fail when I am in the middle of the woods and then I will die if I don't fix it now.)
    -all 4 wheel bearings (finished the two rear ones today)
    -remove spacers (done today)
    -rear suspension bushings (done today)
    -change the oil
    -tie rod ends (one wrecked on the way home from ice fishing last week [see below] in the mail)
    -fix spring pedestals (one crumpled, rear spring is goofed)
    -take leaking tires to Kal Tire (did this today, had to get two inner tubes installed)
    -fix front winch thingy
    -fix cv boot thingy (done)

Wheel bearings before
    Video--> https://flic.kr/p/SLTifb
    [​IMG]
    Wheel bearings after (sorry about portrait orientation)
    Video --> https://flic.kr/p/SQT1XB
    [​IMG]
    How to replace wheel bearings without press:
    [​IMG]

Springs wrecked
    [​IMG]

How to get home from bush when tie rod end kills itself:
    [​IMG]

19. tperkins

Figured out why the springs were goofed, the lift spacer was upside down, and the spring was also upside down... You can see the difference between the correct way and the wrong way below:
    [​IMG]
    Both done:
    [​IMG]

I borrowed a spring compressor from a friend which combined two things known to be dangerous to fingers, I think putting them together cancels them out and this is completely safe:
    [​IMG]

Also started on replacing the rad, here is the stick damage (somehow it wasn't leaking):
    [​IMG]
    Piece of shit to remove, this is midway through.
    [​IMG]
    First indication maybe there was a reason that it was overheating in the snow:
    [​IMG]
    Finally removed, I don't think it was getting much air flow:
    [​IMG]
    Old vs new:
    [​IMG]
    This is actually holding it up to a light bulb:
    [​IMG]

20. IanB

IanB New Member

Looks like that rad replacement was definitely due!