2004 Honda 650 Rincon ATV "Restoration"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tperkins, Oct 22, 2014.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

This summer I purchased a quad, got a good deal, but it needed some TLC.
    It had a small lift, 27'' swamp lites, front winch, hand warmers, and that nifty looking box.
    It needed a whole new front end (upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearings, and suspension bushings) and some rear suspension bushing. It also needed front and rear brakes, as well as a new pull start.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see in the pictures, it looked pretty rough and has seen a few hard km's.
    [​IMG]
    While I had some parts on order, I took to restoring the plastic:
    I first tested a few different techniques, but found that sanding then using a heat gun worked the best.
    [​IMG]
    Here are a few pictures of the progress:
    [​IMG]
    You can see here that the (picture) left two thirds has been done and the right hasn't been touched yet, I had also painted the bumpers by this point.
    [​IMG]
    (sorry for the picture quality, but you get the point)

After that was done, as you can see, the quad needed fender flares (because I am not interested in getting muddy while I am hunting)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finished product:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally, here it is packing out of Elk Camp: (very dusty)
    [​IMG]

So once the parts arrived, I went to work. Changed the front wheel bearings, upper and lower ball joints on both sides, fixed up the front drums as well as I could, replaced a couple of breather lines as well as all of the suspension bushings. In the rear, I replaced the brake pads, and the rear right suspension bushings (as the left felt very tight still). Surprisingly, all of these parts were less than 500$.

I still need to change all the fluids, put a winch on the back, front and back light bar, and put on a chainsaw carrier, but all-in-all I love the quad.

For those interested, to restore the plastic, I first wet-sanded it with 220 grit, then 400, then 800, then 1200. After it dried, I took a heat gun to it which really brought the colour back out. Since then, I have been using 303 aerospace protectant on every wash and the plastic still remains flexible (I was worried it would become brittle with heat)

SilverStar likes this.
  2. SilverStar

SilverStar New Member

Very nice!! I just overhauled my 01 Foreman, it's been a hunting mule from day one so it's seen many hard miles.

I didn't go into as much detail as you because after November it will be a mess again. The biggest thing that I did was strip the racks, bull bar and foot rests and coat them with bed liner. Should be able to take way more abuse without flaking the coating away.

3. tperkins

Bed liner would have been a good idea for the front bumper! Which I forgot to mention the quad also came with an aftermarket front and rear bumper, as well as an exhaust (which I hate).

I probably went overboard, because like your quad this thing is only used in hunting season, but I like to do the best job I can do whenever I do something; plus this is a cheap way to sidestep the mod bug :p

Thanks!

4. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Hey nice job! thats a reliable machine if I've ever seen one! A lot of those are used for Survey's and Well checking out here, I always see Honda's as the machine of choice for ATV.
    Pretty normal wear items to need on an ATV, those swamp-lites look good!!

I just finished a huge overhaul on my 2005 Arctic Cat 500 Manual, all new poly bushings all around, bearings, ball joints, CV boots, brakes, hollowed out aluminum from wear in control arms, broken frame in 2 places, broken diff mounts, new synthetic 75ft cable for the superwinch (steel cable is really cruddy) battery, blown shock, just on and on and on, I don't think ATV's are really made for hard trail use, if you do, be prepared to do constant work on it!

I mostly ride in the winter, looking at upgrading to a 1000CC Arctic cat or maybe a Suzuki King Quadd 700/750 for reliability.

Attached Files:

5. tperkins

That's a nice looking machine!

Thanks, yeah the Honda's lack some of the fancy stuff the newer quads do, but they are reliable. The independent suspension is a dream to ride compared to the old 350 I had before this though.

This quad had a rough life up until this point, I forgot to mention that I had to replace the instrument/speedo screen thing as the old one got a stick through it. I got it from partzilla actually and would recommend them to anyone. I was quoted 600$ for the screen from Honda, got the OEM replacement for 200$ shipped from partzilla. Came in a Honda box, brand new, still in the packaging.

For me, I love the quad. I bought an extra large quad cover but its too small :p with the tires, lift, spacers (which I don't like, but they seem to have become permanent (couldn't get them off))and the box. I also need to put a bow caddy and a gun case on the thing still. I don't expect I will use it too much in the winter, as the snow is usually too deep, but you never know.

[​IMG]
    Have you considered any of the side-by-sides? Seems like quads are becoming a thing of the past around the woods here, everyone has side-by-sides.

6. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Nice work. What kind of lightbar you thinking about using? Something huge and amazingly ridiculous I hope!

7. tperkins

I have them at my house now, they aren't huge or ridiculous unfortunately. I ordered them off ebay, just 7" double row little guys(so the one on the front will fit in the front bumper in that little spot between the headlights). Like this

8. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Side by sides are the new thing, but over 50" machines can't go down any good trails, so they just cruise the fire-roads, how boring!
    They're also quite expensive and heavy, I appreciate the comfy seating and roll cage for sure, but not for me.

I only quad in the winter really, I dirt bike all summer, was out today on the tight single track in the mountains with my ole reliable 97 CR250R, winter quadding can be pretty fun, at least its something to do in the rough winter round these parts.

9. tperkins

Big weekend for the quad! Changed all the fluids, fixed my pull start, replaced a bolt that fell out in the suspension in elk camp, replaced the spark plug, installed a winch in the rear (still have to wire it to work with the existing on/off switch) and put the light bar on the front!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (this picture turned out weird)
    [​IMG]
    I will take a better picture of how the winch is mounted in the back, my brother and I welded up a solid mounting bracket that turned out pretty well.

All that is left is to fasten a chainsaw to it, mount a bow caddy, maybe a wind shield, and wire the rear winch and it will be ready to go.

10. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

I bet that light is retarded awesome!

11. tperkins

I am going ice fishing Tuesday so I will let you know how it performs on the trail!

12. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Those things are pretty crazy for light output, a good time of year to have it!

Loving the rear mounted Warn RT, man you don't screw around for quality with a rear winch! very useful to have for snow, hard to go forward sometimes with no winch point.
    Swamp lites look good! that front bumper makes the lights look mean!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  13. tperkins

Sorry forgot to update after ice fishing!

I was actually disappointed with the light at first, then I remembered the lighting of some of my old vehicles. The light and the headlights combined I can see really well.

Thanks, as far as the rear winch I just got very lucky. When I picked the quad up (from my good friend) he had a brand new winch in a box sitting there and I asked him if he wanted to sell it, he just gave it to me (it came with everything I needed, minus the rocker switch). So I have 2 Warn RT 2500's on the quad now, one in the front one in the back :)

The light ended up working out very well, I am happy I had a place to mount it that is just a steady line of lights across the front, thinking of putting a light on the back now and it should be ready to rock.

The swamp lites I really like and will probably replace with another set once these are worn out, which might happen sooner if I get to use my quad for work.

14. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Very nice! Use your quad for work? My friend has a smaller LED light bar on this Polaris and its more of a flood beam, but works nice with the high beam.
    I ended up getting a new Quad late Nov, which promptly exploded its front diff first ride, factory recall, took 2 months to get it repaired, and now its the greatest thing ever. Not only is it much faster, but a million times more stable in off cambers, descents, asecents, 26 instead of 27 much lighter steering, +1 offset, lower springs, its totally different and superior to my old 05 500.

I made a video!

Pajerist and tperkins like this.
  15. tperkins

Holy smokes, that's a big machine! Cool video.

Quad for work as in I do environmental work and a vast majority of the work has been ATV access only thus far, so we quad/sled. They have can-ams, but it would be nice to make some money off this quad.

16. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Ahhh! enviormental is always hondas! #1 in reliability, I always see trailers full of honda's coming back from Survey in Calgary!
    No belts to break with the automatic honda has. Its kind of silly having a 950cc motor, but its not like its crazy fast, more like solid power, its really easy to modulate at lower speed and just crawling around, really, reliability is one of the biggest things you need when running an ATV. I'd probably get a Honda if I was using it for work as well! I really like the look of the Rincons, sharp machine!

tperkins likes this.
  17. tperkins

I just ordered some new high capacity springs for the rear. Although I enjoy the soft ride of the OEM springs, when the quad is loaded with all my stuff in the box, me on it and the girlfriend on it the tires rub on the fender flares quite a bit, which is loud and is melting the fenders.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  18. tperkins

[​IMG]

Installed the high capacity springs yesterday, and wired the winch in. I am kinda iffy about the springs, I was expecting the ride to stiffen, but it feels like track coilovers now.

At least now it sits with 14 1/4" of travel to the high point of the rear axle. I need to chop that excess off the ball.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  19. tperkins

I also figured out why I got the winch for free. When I wired it all up and tried to tighten the wire on the lugs winch, they were loose... so, I took the eyelets off and tightened the nut a bit and re installed. When everything was done, I went to test it and got a loud click from the contactor and nothing else happened. Then we checked, and had 12v, then stuck a DV amprobe on it... it was drawing 560amps.

Anyways, turns out that those lugs on the winch body were over tightened in the past and the insulation was damaged, which grounded them to the winch body. So, now I am searching for nylon washers and it should work, a free winch is a free winch.

20. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Nice troubleshooting on the winch! well afree RT25 is pretty sick, they are really expensive, not like a chinese winch you are working on their eh? a mere 560amps! haa haa!!
    That is some loaded up quad to require those springs! that is some serious ride height unloaded you got there!