2002 Toyota Alphard (4WD V6)

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Megatol, Jul 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

I sold my 98 Land Cruiser (planning to upgrade to 2002+ restyled model) but still need bigger vehicle for family trips. Got this 2002 Alphard with 79K kms, 4WD, 1MZ 3.0L engine, 7 seats (middle row captain chairs)

It is MS grade (has kind of sporty body kit), came from Japan with some upgrades: 18" wheels (looks like from next generation Alphard), TRD exhaust, parktronic.

4WD works good on the snow, very stable.

So far I've done:
    • New front brake pads - same as NA 2002-2006 Lexus ES300-330 (I used POWER STOP 16906)
    • Rebuilt both front TEMS struts, struts them self were good but all rubber parts (dust boots, gaskets, deflector were done), so I replaced all rubber parts on the struts
    • Installed Pioneer 2DIN stereo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pajerist and IanB like this.
  2. livingroom

livingroom New Member

my 02

Attached Files:

3. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

WHat are you going to use for your camping needs now, i remeber you got the land cruiser to pull you trailer cause you told me once you guys Camp alot.

Looks great BTW

4. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

We actually went already 4 times for overnight camping trips in Alphard and we (me and my wife) slept inside, it was pretty good.
    This summer we are going back to Motherland including Honk Kong, China and Japan (yey - more JDM stuff :) ), so camping season will be short for us.

On Canada Day I rented F150 (it was good deal $85 for 3 days) and we took trailer out, planning doing the same one more time.

Interesting, on 2018 F150 with EcoBoost and 10 speed transmission milage was 21L/100 while towing trailer vs 23-25 L/100 km on 98 Land Cruiser (4 speed auto), I was expecting better from F150.
    I still planning to get 2003-2004 Land Cruiser this coming winter/spring for next season. It will have different front diff, new transmission (5 speed), some interior improvements compare to 98 LC, so I expecting better millage.

Pajerist likes this.
  5. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Sweet van! Way better than a caravan, eh?

Off topic a bit, but was that the 3.5 or 2.7L? My 3.5 Ecobeast gets 21-24L/100km towing 8k lbs 28ft rv. Driving 100kmph from Red Deer to Kimberley.

6. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

I don't really know. I was a rental, I just saw "Ecoboost" badge but didn't look under the hood.
    My trailer is only 18 ft, but as I understand while towing drag (air resistance) affecting millage is more important than weight. Basically 18 ft or 28 ft will have similar drag coefficient (they have similar cross section area but different length).
    Also we went to Gull Lake, I was going around 110-120, drag proportional to squared velocity.

7. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

That'll do it. Tail vs headwind my experience is up to 5L/100km different.

On topic, these big Jdm vans are great for family duty. They are thirsty though!

8. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Mine has full time 4WD, I'm getting around 11-12 L /100 kms in summer, 13-14L/100 in the winter.
    Elgrand have 2WD mode but engine is bigger, so probably similar millage.

9. Soren

Soren Hiatus is the best way to control the urges..

Haha. I knew it! I spotted you heading south on QE2 a few weeks ago. Ive been to pine lake a number of times in the last month. Man...i kept telling my kids that I wish you were headed our way...i wanted a closer longer look.... I should have known it would be you!!!
    Looks awesome. I considered one for our tent trailer needs