2 for 1 thread: '93 Land Cruiser & '99 E55t AMG

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by IanB, Jul 26, 2014.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

That sucks...for a few reasons!

So you shimmed out the wastegate on the front side of the turbo then? I need to try something similar with my MMP turbo to see if I can get it to build boost sooner.

2. IanB

IanB New Member

It really does...

If you're going to try this, here's a few tricks I came up with. So you're not fighting the spring, use a bike pump to get the actuator arm to extend, this will give you some slack at the bracket end so you aren't fighting the spring the whole time. I used a small bolt pick-up magnet on an extendable rod to hold the washers on their end so you can get them into position between the turbo and the actuator bracket, the turbo inlet is sticking 1.5" past where you need to get the washers so space is very tight, this lets you use your right hand to position the bracket and get the bolt into place. You'll want to remove the airbox lid, airbox, and intake tube so you have room to work.

RyanV likes this.
  3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Good tips Ian, thanks, but I might be SOL on that. I remembered that my wastegate on the MMP is a Turbosmart model and looking it up, it mounts similar to this:

[​IMG]

So the bolts are through the body or something rather than having bolts that are removable on a bracket. I'll have to think about it a bit more before attempting I think...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  4. RyanV

RyanV Member

Apparently I can't ad a quote when editing, so new post...Thinking about this more:

Any chance it's some kind of debris on the turbo blades? I remember seeing a thread where a guy had dropped a nut that sat on the front of his turbo on the compressor blades and wore them down. I guess he had dropped it, couldn't find it and put the intake boot on without really thinking about where it could have gone. I hate to say it, but maybe a few damaged blades could be the issue?

5. IanB

IanB New Member

I've examined the blades on the hot and cold sides, they appear just fine. Shaft spins freely and smoothly, no shaft play, etc. Shimming the wastegate wouldn't have made a difference if that was the case.

I'm pretty confident I've finally got the issue pinned down as a faulty wastegate actuator, resolving it is no cake walk though.

6. IanB

IanB New Member

New wastegate arrived yesterday, I'm not going to get a chance to install and test till after our trip though. Lame.

I did spend the last week or so addressing some stuff I'd been putting off on the wife's GX470 which got the nod for trip duties. Last night I polished the headlights, they turned out great! Cleaned out the whole thing, pulled the passenger side 2nd row seat out for more room, went over the leather and plastics with Mr. Clean magic eraser (which worked amazingly!), oil change, lubed the driveline, removed the rearward skidplate as it was causing a rattle, and generally made sure it was ready to go. I went through the brakes and converted the rear air suspension to coils earlier in the spring, so those 2 bigger jobs were already out of the way. It's coming up on 240,000kms and is mechanically in great shape.

img_3539_1__e2ed240952722e399bffa54f06e238f8af7e23d6.jpg

7. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

From this angle it looks like a Celsior :)

Headlight looks good, the only problem I read that it eventually will became yellowish relatively soon because UV protection layer is removed.
    I just picked JetSeal UV protectant from Amazon during their Prime sale (it was $19, now is $60), will try it on my headlights, but reviews are good.

Greg likes this.
  8. IanB

IanB New Member

It does look a bit "carish" from certain angles, lol. But underneath where it counts, it's a V8 4Runner AWD with a Prado 120 body, and Lexus interior, nice vehicle. Very thirsty though!

I had some Meguier's UV sealant that I applied after polishing, it does need to be reapplied periodically to keep it from oxidizing again, we'll see how I do with keeping up with that, lol.

Pajerist likes this.
  9. IanB

IanB New Member

Small update, I replaced the Benz in the lineup, with the wife's GX470 which will serve as daily driver and winter beater duty going forward...because I like burning as much fuel as I can, lol. We picked up a '15 4Runner Ltd. for the wife in Magnetic Gray. I promptly removed the bug deflector from the GX470 and put it in the garbage bin. This should serve as a much better winter vehicle than the Benz could ever hope to be.

Hoping this will allow me to figure out the turbo issues I'm having on the Land Cruiser without the stress of needing it to get me to work every day.

IMG_3607[1].JPG IMG_3606[1].JPG IMG_3604[1].JPG IMG_3605[1].JPG IMG_3611.JPG

Pajerist and RyanV like this.
  10. RyanV

RyanV Member

Nice! :) I'd love to have one of those 4runners. If I were to replace the HDJ81, that's one of the vehicles I was considering.

IanB likes this.