2 for 1 thread: '93 Land Cruiser & '99 E55t AMG

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by IanB, Jul 26, 2014.

1. IanB

IanB New Member

A little bit of everything, I really enjoy the car for commuting to/from work in the warmer months, but one wheel drive sucks in the winter. It was starting to get some paint bubbling in a few places, so it was really time for it to go, if I drove it another winter there would be nothing left of it to sell come spring, lol.

I'm really not sure on replacement plans, or timing. We've been looking at moving outside of the city, so life would be pretty hectic for a while if that comes to fruition. And I'd likely need to build a shop so I had somewhere to work on stuff. I may hold off until life is settled again before buying something else...or I may not.

Replacement will be either AWD, or manual transmission, or both. But I found that a RWD auto trans is not what I want, and I promised myself no more FWD. I'm only interested in LHD for a car, personal preference, I'm fine with it in my truck though. I might look at some Legacy GT's if something nice pops up locally, or an Audi, who knows. My budget is based on what I got back out of the Benz, which doesn't buy a lot locally, and I'm not interested in another project, something reliable would be ideal. Then the kid in me sees the RS6's and other fun stuff that are selling at auction, and I forget my name along with all common sense, lol.

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  3. IanB

IanB New Member

That's a really nice car, great shape, and manual trans! I've found that I don't need a wagon as I just don't use the 3rd vehicle for road trips with the family, and I'd kind of like a sedan next time around. A 330i isn't going to come close to the performance potential of the E55 either...but maybe that's not as important? But maybe it is, lol.

It would need to be a pretty special car to not be AWD, and I don't think this is it.

4. RyanV

RyanV Member

Agreed, but it would be a great family/DD car. Fun to drive and pretty economical as well for how much power it does have. My wife's car is getting 10l/100km with 100% city driving. Seems a bit strange that this wagon didn't come with the sports seats. The cruise control is nice though. The wife's car is missing that.

IanB likes this.
  5. IanB

IanB New Member

I looked at this a bit closer last night, it's a really nice car. Would it have an LSD rear diff?

How different are the sport seats? I assume much different, lol.

6. RyanV

RyanV Member

I pulled up the data card and it doesn't say anything about LSD. Doing some searching it sounds like it was an option my only the M cars really came fitted with them. I'd say the odds are low that this car would have a LSD. Mark notes it on his website that it's originally registered in 2004, but 2001 car...from the data card it looks like the car may have been sold new in France since it notes French language version.

Yes, the sports seats are really nice. Side bolsters on the back and beside the legs. It has the little extension on the front as well, but I don't really use that. My wife's seats are memory too :)

IanB likes this.
  7. IanB

IanB New Member

Too bad this one wasn't an M-package, it's got great potential but comes off looking a bit...bland.

8. IanB

IanB New Member

Waved goodbye to the Benz tonight, part of me will really miss that car. Another part of me is happy to have it out of the way after sitting in my garage for the last 3 weeks while the buyer was out of town for work, lol.

23621702_10159597682955125_7848458114594420551_n.jpg

9. IanB

IanB New Member

With the car out of the picture, I need to get myself organized and get a front axle rebuild completed on the Land Cruiser, and I've got a GTurbo Grunter Extreme sitting on the workbench waiting for its turn!

I recently wired up and installed the 7 day timer for the webasto heater, what took me so long?!? This thing is great!

My power windows get really slow when the weather turns cold, I'm now thinking a big part of the problem is the draw the glow plugs put on the electrical system. I need the window to work to get in/out of my parkade at work, so cold starting the truck and leaving at the end of the day meant I had to wait until I was driving and the revs were up a bit to get the window rolled back up, not great. Now that I can set the webasto and have a warm engine when I get to the truck, the power windows work MUCH better...mind you it hasn't really gotten COLD yet...so time will tell if this is an actual fix to my problem or if I'll need to dig in deeper.

10. RyanV

RyanV Member

Shouldn't you have done that work on the 80 while you had the spare car to drive? LOL!

I have the same issue with the slow window(s). Particularly the passenger front and I've tried all the quicker remedies. Next thing I'm going to try is this:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/got-slow-windows-heres-the-fix.840926/

Or at least I think I'm going to try that....

IanB likes this.
  11. IanB

IanB New Member

In a perfect world, yup. I've got the parts now, but still need to gather some tools like seal drivers, and a few other odds and ends. I'm going to take a Friday off work and bang it out over a long weekend. I've never done this job before, and its fairly involved and very time consuming, although not particularly difficult from what I've read.

I had good results from cleaning the master window switch contacts, but they were short lived. I replaced the window runs when I got the truck as one was torn and was not carwash friendly, and that didn't seem to make any difference.

Good link, I may try this out as well...when I have time, lol.