2 for 1 thread: '93 Land Cruiser & '99 E55t AMG

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by IanB, Jul 26, 2014.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

I don't know why, but I feel like there is more to the story or something else going on there. It seemed like he was messing with it a lot and didn't have gauges the whole time he was doing that...

*edit: I also put mine through a good run last week. I ran over the Coq to Armstrong and back in one day without issue. I have a mental note of all the things I want to post about my thoughts on the experience with the MMP and the current tune, but it's hard to find time to sit down and write it out. I also have another trip coming up, so by the end of next week I think I'll have about 2500kms on the MMP turbo.

Good to hear. I too have mystery springs, so I'm thinking it would be good to just get a whole kit like you did. I just splurged a whole bunch on the turbo though so I might just do a rebuild of the Fox shocks in the front and save up some funds for next year sometime and get the kit. Like you said above, hard to find time to get things done with a little one around, and I only have one to deal with!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. IanB

IanB New Member

I'm very interested in your impressions of that turbo, GTurbo has a 10% off sale running till the end of August...my wallet is begging for mercy.

I'd like to say we're planning another big road trip for next summer, but that's not a real thing...yet. I want to see Colorado/Utah.

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Short answer, this turbo (in my current tune) is really happy running over 100km/hr. The stock CT26 always seemed like it was struggling at 100+. The MMP is building more boost and EGT's have been mostly in check running 100km/hr even up long hills. Only had to back off a couple of times on the recent trip. I'll post something better...eventually...

4. IanB

IanB New Member

What's the down low and around town driving like?

5. RyanV

RyanV Member

Better than before, but I think that's due to John giving a better tune because the boost is actually lower than I had before.

6. IanB

IanB New Member

What is your boost level set to with the new turbo?

7. RyanV

RyanV Member

I didn't phrase that right...I'm hitting 22 psi, but not until over 3k rpm. At 60km/hr I was boosting 4lbs or so, now it's only about 1lb...for example. 100km/hr on CT26 I was at 9-10lbs now it's only about 5lbs. Should feel slower, but when I lean into it with the MMP if feels like there's a lot more power on tap where as with the stock turbo it seemed like it just made more noise and went a bit faster.

8. IanB

IanB New Member

10psi on the stock ct26 and 10psi on your new turbo are probably flowing vastly different volumes of air.

9. RyanV

RyanV Member

Based on how the truck drives, that's what I was thinking too, but I wasn't sure if that makes sense because then the velocity would have to be much higher since the pipe diameter is all the same. If the velocity is higher, then it would have to flow through the engine faster too and that's where i'm not sure if it makes sense. Same engine, so wouldn't the air flow through the engine be the same at xxxx RPM and the only way to change the flow is to pressurize the air on the intake side (eg. turbo)???

I don't know enough about the dynamics/mathematics...

10. IanB

IanB New Member

The higher efficiency compressor will add less heat to the charge, making it more dense at the same pressure, so that will account for some of the difference. Boost pressure is just a measure of resistance, and the new turbo will flow with more velocity for sure, ramming more air in per cycle than the stocker at the same "boost levels".

11. IanB

IanB New Member

I was thinking about this the other night, if we accept that the new turbo is more efficient, then it's moving more air at a given boost pressure than the stock turbo. The engine's air requirements to maintain a given speed haven't changed, so you'll see a lower boost level at the same load level than before. So it makes sense that you'd see less boost than before in certain driving situations, but the new turbo can also make more boost than the stocker, making for FAR greater power potential.

12. IanB

IanB New Member

Yesterday I pulled off the intake manifold and resealed with new OEM gaskets. Most of the IM bolts were loose! No wonder I was seeing an oily building up the IM to head seals! Pretty big job, it was much less of a mess inside than I was expecting, and I could be wrong but it feels a bit more responsive afterwards.

IMG_2995[1].JPG IMG_2961[1].JPG

Megatol likes this.
  13. IanB

IanB New Member

Benz got some love last night, oil change and brake fluid flush. I was surprised with how dark the fluid was as it was flushed when I got the car, not even 3 years ago.

I've also started messing with the tune on the HDJ81, it's now running full off-idle cam to get some more fuel in early which has helped with the sluggishness off the line, and I'm slowly dialing the star wheel down so the fuel pin moves more when the boost comes on. Interestingly, at 20psi the pin wasn't even close to getting into the ground profile of the fuel pin from the ATEB tune, the pin was ground but that part of the pin wasn't being utilized...so what's the point of grinding the pin?!? Reinforces my belief that there's performance left on the table here.

I've also decreased boost to 20psi from 22, and once the boost compensator is calibrated for 20psi, I'll be lowering boost to 18psi where it will stay until I get a new turbo...which may or may not be in the works.

14. IanB

IanB New Member

Found the performance! There were 2 shims sitting on the top of the boost compensator bore limiting downward travel of the aneroid pin. I dialed the star wheel down gradually, to the point it was in the most downward position, with only marginal increases in performance, and the pin didn't appear to be gaining any travel downwards. It was clear the shims were the issue at this point, which explains why the follower wasn't getting into the ground portion of the pin profile. I removed the thinner of the shims, and all of a sudden this thing is getting some fuel, it GOES when you punch it now! The follower pin is now getting to just before the deepest part of the grind, I'll slowly turn the starwheel back up so it isn't just shooting to full fuel when boost hits, and call it a day for now. EGT's are about 100F higher in a 0-120km/h pull than when I started, and much better acceleration, more willing to hold gears when accelerating, much more fun to drive.

Gturbo Grunter Extreme is sitting at the DHL depot for me today...more tuning to follow.

RyanV likes this.
  15. RyanV

RyanV Member

New or did you manage to track down a used one?

16. IanB

IanB New Member

New, took advantage of their 10% off sale in August. Buy once, cry once, right?

17. RyanV

RyanV Member

Ah yes, the ol' GTurbo slogan :p

Sending the core back or just swallowing that cost? I was close to getting a GTurbo before the MMP group buy came along, but it was going to be tough to swallow the core charge or pay a bunch of money to have it shipped to Aus to recoup some of the core charge.

18. IanB

IanB New Member

The invoice makes no mention of a core charge...so I was gonna keep it around, maybe sell it.