2 for 1 thread: '93 Land Cruiser & '99 E55t AMG

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by IanB, Jul 26, 2014.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

That's a bummer. I suspect that one Fox shock might be a bit soft on my truck, but on inspection it looks ok and I haven't bothered to try and remove it to give it a check.

Yeah, clearance is really the only complaint I have about my truck. However, if I had somewhere to store my roof rack I could take it off and I'd fit most of the time.

2. IanB

IanB New Member

Got out wheeling on Sunday, and a package arrived!

IMG_2776[1].JPG IMG_2782[1].JPG IMG_2783[1].JPG IMG_2784[1].JPG

RyanV, Greg, tperkins and 1 other person like this.
  3. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Nice pictures!

RyanV and IanB like this.
  4. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

That 2nd picture is sweet!

IanB likes this.
  5. IanB

IanB New Member

Well, I got the new lift in last night, but I mangled a brake hardline installing the extended brake hose on the rear axle, so it's a jackstand princess until I can get a replacement. The kit includes springs, shocks, extended brake lines, front swaybar relocation blocks, and castor correction bushings, very complete! Once it's back on the road I'll take it to a buddy's shop to press in the castor correction bushings.

IMG_2787[1].JPG IMG_2788[1].JPG

RyanV likes this.
  6. RyanV

RyanV Member

IanB likes this.
  7. RyanV

RyanV Member

IanB likes this.
  8. IanB

IanB New Member

That looks like a really nice one, can't tell if it's OEM or not though.

9. RyanV

RyanV Member

IanB likes this.
  10. IanB

IanB New Member

Made a decision recently, and had the E55t safetied today, it will be put up for sale shortly. It needed nothing to pass! I'm kinda torn as I've grown fond of it, it will be missed for sure.

No idea what will replace it yet, but it will be either manual transmission, AWD, or both, LHD only. Depending on what I end up with, it may or may not serve as daily driver all year, or it may be a summer only car.

11. IanB

IanB New Member

I've been slacking lately, time to get some work done! Hoping to get the following done this week:
    -new OEM engine and transmission mounts
    -drain and refill OEM fan clutch with 10K cst oil

This involves using a cherry picker to support the drivetrain from above, while changing the mounts from below. Hoping to lose a few vibrations due to 25 year old rubber getting replaced. Last summer when I had the truck tuned, John @ ATEB advised my fan clutch was getting tired, and once he pointed it out it was obvious as the fan doesn't roar on a cold start as it should.

I've also got all new gaskets for the intake manifold and crossover pipe, pulling the IM is a PITA as the injector lines are all snaked through it, but it's caked with oily buildup and I'd like to pull them out and run them through a parts washer while I'm at it.

Then I think I'm ready to start digging into the injection pump and tune this truck! I'll be lowering boost from 22psi (ATEB tune) to 18psi, and seeing what I can do to liven things up in the low and mid range with some tweaks.

I haven't driven the truck much lately, but the ICON 3" lift suspension feels great! Once I get the rear bumper back from re-powdercoating I'll snap some nice pics.

12. IanB

IanB New Member

Back to work! Last night I started prepping for tonight, which involves replacing the engine and trans mounts with new OEM, and draining and refilling the fan clutch with 10,000cst oil (stock is either 3K, 6K, or 10K). It's already snowballing, getting the fan out required pulling both battery boxes out which is a PITA to do, all my aftermarket wiring is snaked through and around them, took WAY longer than I'd hoped, and it all needs to go back as well. I was able to sneak the fan out on the driver's side with the fan shroud in place, but it looks like I'll need to disconnect the upper rad hose before I can hoist the engine anyways, so the shroud is pretty well freed up at that point.

I left the fan clutch halves in a pyrex pan to drain overnight, after work I'll fire up the BBQ and subject it to low heat to aid in the draining of the old oil, it's super thick stuff! I hope to have that refilled and back in place before I call it a night today. I don't expect I'll get everything done and back together.

Since the battery boxes are out, I've got access to the winch solenoid which looks all crusty, and I suspect is the issue I was having with my winch in the spring where it powered on and seemed to function, but had zero power when there was any load on it. I ordered a new one (also called a magnet switch #1 in the FSM), so it's going in before things go back together.

Stupid lead acid batteries have made a bit of a mess of the battery cables, battery boxes, and battery tie downs, so I'll be washing everything down with a water/baking soda mix when I go to reassemble. I've got brand new battery tie-downs as the powder coating on the old ones didn't hold up, but I'm not sure I want to use them with these batteries, might just get ruined as well. Maybe I'll save them for new AGM's someday...

IMG_2886.JPG

13. IanB

IanB New Member

Big night last night, got the winch solenoid changed out, fan clutch refilled and reassembled, and the engine and trans mounts changed. Motor mounts were NOT releasing and lifting the whole front of the truck up, ended up having to strap the frame to the axle and use a pry bar and hammer to get them seperated, big job, glad I had some buddies over to help. Still need to put the fan/shroud back in, battery boxes and batteries, so another couple hours and I'll be back in action.

I was out in the garage from 6:30 till 12:30 working hard. Glad to have that out of the way!

14. IanB

IanB New Member

Over the last month or so I've had my starter on the Land Cruiser stick and run on after you've let go of the key, and the engine is running. If you try and turn the key off it keeps chugging (although I didn't try removing the key from the ignition, thinking about it now that should have stopped it). This has happened a few times but a blip of the throttle was able to get it to disengage, but on the weekend it just kept going, and I was hitting it with a stick I found, it ran for a good 45 sec beyond when I wanted it to, so something needed to be done ASAP.

Ordered the rebuild parts from partsouq on the weekend, looks like they should be here on Thursday, so I'll try my hand at that later this week if it shows up in time.

15. RyanV

RyanV Member

I'm having some sort of starter issue as well except mine doesn't start. Glow plug light like normal and turn the key and get nothing. Batteries are ok, can't see any fuse issues. I'm just going to drop mine at the shop though and I'll have them install the turbo at the same time since some guys are having some fitment issues.

16. IanB

IanB New Member

Sounds like there's 2 ways these starters can fail...and that's the other one, lol.

17. IanB

IanB New Member

Parts arrived yesterday, how they can ship stuff from UAE to WPG that quickly blows my mind!

Getting the starter out was the hardest part, it's only 1x bolt, 1x nut, and 2x electrical connections, but the nut is above the starter towards the engine so you need to get at it from above, and there's a rats nest of wiring and connections surrounding it, making locating it a PITA, let alone accessing and removing it. Once on the workbench it was a 20 min tops job to replace the contacts and plunger and get it reassembled. I went under the truck and pushed the wiring up and out of the way, made reinstallation much easier. The one contact was nearly worn completely away, the other looked to be in pretty decent shape, the plunger was due for replacement for sure. Lots of dust in the housing, sprayed it out with electrical connection cleaner before reassembling.

The spring on the plunger is swapped onto the new one, don't forget! It's an hour and half job tops if you can get that top nut off without too much trouble.

IMG_2894[1].JPG IMG_2896[1].JPG IMG_2902[1].JPG

Megatol likes this.
  18. IanB

IanB New Member

It would appear I've got some birf soup starting...doh! Add front axle rebuild to my list of things to do. I'll probably save this one for winter.

I've got vacation in early August, and I plan on pulling apart the intake from the turbo to the head and cleaning everything out really well, and putting it back together with new gaskets. I'm getting an oily buildup and the joints, making me wonder if I've got boost leaks?

With that job out of the way I'm hoping to start tinkering with tuning the fuel pump a bit, and turning my boost down to 18psi from the 22psi ATEB set it at when I had it tuned last summer. It's been working fine like that, no shaft play after a year, but I'd feel better taking the family on a big roadtrip with things set a bit more conservatively. I REALLY want to snag a GTurbo...but so much $$$, and I've spent a fair bit on this thing as of late.

Also got my rear bumper back from a few tweaks and re-powdercoating, I'll try and snag some pics (FINALLY) of the finished product shortly.

I also pulled the winch out and I'm having the shop that built my armor make me a new winch plate, hoping to have that all back together for fall so I can get another wheeling trip in before snow flies. Seems crazy to be trying to stay ahead of winter on these projects, but things move slowly once you have kids, lol.

19. RyanV

RyanV Member

Based on the performance I'm seeing on my MMP turbo and the recent post from the guy who had is fail I am second guessing my purchase over a GTurbo; however, when EBI installed the turbo for me they said they've seen a few failed GTurbos come through. I'm starting to wonder if you're better off just going with the 7M hybrid so you are using all OEM parts that are proven and will last a long time.

How are you finding the ride with your new shocks and springs? I think I already posted that my fronts have leaked, so they need rebuild. I'm wondering if I should just save up some more funds and buy something else.

20. IanB

IanB New Member

I was going to direct you to that post about the failed MMP turbo...didn't want to jinx you though.

I'm really liking the ride on the ICON stage 1 kit so far, the shocks seem to handle the weight of the 80 better than the Fox's did, and the springs are definitely an upgrade over my tired mystery springs that it was imported with.