2 for 1 thread: '93 Land Cruiser & '99 E55t AMG

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by IanB, Jul 26, 2014.

1. IanB

IanB New Member

41486_1381404686.jpg 41487_1381404686.jpg 41529_1381405044.jpg 41490_1381404686.jpg 41565_1381405177.jpg I could have sworn I'd made a thread for my LC previously, but I think it might have been lost when some work was done on the forum a long while back.

Some background: Jan 2013 my garage burnt and I lost my '91 Land Cruiser HDJ81, along with a '92 Land Cruiser HDJ81 that I was parting out, and my wife's '96 Subaru Legacy Ltd. wagon that was in the driveway (among many other things). So that sucked.

Fast forward to last October, Mark @ Brave Auto found me another really clean Land Cruiser with the options I wanted:
    -1HD-T turbo diesel engine
    -3X diff lockers
    -factory winch
    -center console fridge
    -82,XXX kms

So I've technically owned this truck for a while, but with the garage rebuild, some other complications that involved us having to move out of the house for 3 months while they stripped the exterior walls down to the studs and cleaned out some F'd up expanding foam insulation, the birth of my daughter, etc, I just havent' had time to deal with it until now. So the truck arrives in BC at the end of this month, I'm having ATEB in Burnaby do a few maintenance items, and I'm flying out to collect it and bring it home at the end of August. It's been a long time in the works, and I'm super excited!

I'm also in the position now where a 3rd vehicle makes sense, keeping up on the maintenance on a vehicle like this can be time consuming, and with my daughter around now I can't just drop everything and spend hours and hours out in the garage when something comes up. So I made a case to the wife and she finally agreed (reluctantly, lol). I wanted something I could drive to work everyday downtown that was comfy, had to have 4 doors, no FWD, preferably with room for the family and dog, and all our stuff so I could take it on the highway for a weekend trip if need be, and I wanted something unique, all within my budget of $10k including an extra set of wheels, winter tires, maintenance, and getting it home and through safety so I could get it plated.

A few of these MB E55t AMG's had come through the auctions a while back and caught my eye. I looked at some BMW's and stuff like that as well, I kind of had the idea in my head I wanted a Euro as I've never had one, but this '99 came up and I jumped on it. There's a few issues with it, all the wheels have been curbed, and there's a decent sized dent in the rear just above the bumper/below the taillight, but the rest of the car checked out and the price was right, so I jumped on it. I don't have a shipping date yet, and I'll be sticking it on a train to WPG as I don't have time to make another trip to the coast this year which is really too bad, this thing would be a blast coming back through the mountains!

So this is my new fleet, just wanted to share with the community.

2. IanB

IanB New Member

44936_1404715867.jpg 44938_1404715867.jpg 44975_1404716134.jpg 44998_1404716225.jpg 44940_1404715868.jpg And some pics of the Benz:

3. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Nice vehicles. I really like the wheels on the Land Cruiser. Looks like a great vehicle for getting hauling stuff/getting projects done.

As a wagon lover, those AMG wagons have always been attractive to me. However, being a BMW guy at heart and lacking in Merc knowledge has always kept me away from the other German brand.

IanB likes this.
  4. Speed Stick

Speed Stick The Halifax kid

Such a cool couple vehicles. I like them both. Mark sure hooked you up.

IanB likes this.
  5. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Pretttty nice!! factory winch, man that is some fancy land cruiser.

IanB likes this.
  6. IanB

IanB New Member

Bit of an update, the Land Cruiser arrived in BC yesterday, and the Benz is set to arrive Sept. 10! Going to be a busy fall getting these ready for winter!

7. RyanV

RyanV Member

Congrats Ian! Both look like good purchases. Some day I hope to load up a full container to myself with vehicles from Mark. I think that'd be pretty fun :)

IanB likes this.
  8. IanB

IanB New Member

Land Cruiser was finally dropped off at the shop today, I was expecting it to get there sometime last week, hoping they still have time to get everything done before Saturday...

9. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Glad it has made it there..

Container clearance is always up in the air.. they can never predict when exactly it will be released because CBSA likes to randomly take there time..

Hope everything works out.

IanB likes this.
  10. RyanV

RyanV Member

I'm picking up mine from the shop tomorrow. I'll have to have a look at yours while I'm there :)

IanB likes this.
  11. IanB

IanB New Member

It's always a bit stressful planning a trip where your ride home is a bit of a question mark, lol! The Benz will be much easier as it's just going on a train, the timeline doesn't really matter at all.

Ryan, when you see it, try to imagine it with less stickers and chrome piping, lol.

12. RyanV

RyanV Member

Had a look over the truck today. It's sooooo clean :) The guys at ATEB were impressed too.

Let me know if you find out what your offsets on those rims are. I found a tag that said they are 8.5" width, but I couldn't find the offset. I'd guess they might be zero like stock. I like the fitment better than my truck. Mine are +25 with 1" spacers. Can't remember the width off hand, but your rear calipers look better protected than mine. I'm tired of mine ceasing up after the winter salt gets at them.

A couple of pics from today. It didn't look like there are too many stickers, but they are definitely old and faded. As I mentioned the chrome piping isn't as noticeable in person. It's the same on my Aristo. Looks terrible in photos, but you don't notice it so much when you see the vehicle in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  13. IanB

IanB New Member

Thanks for snapping some pics! I'm beyond exited at this point!

14. IanB

IanB New Member

Update, Philip from ATEB just called, sounds like they're going to get all of the work completed before I arrive! Can't wait for 3" exhaust coming back through the mountains!!!

15. RyanV

RyanV Member

That's good :)

Phillip was backing the truck in when I got there and I said "wow, this truck is sure quiet. I must be used to my 3" exhaust!" The good news is that the 3" exhaust actually doesn't seem to make the truck any louder when you are driving. It just sounds louder outside the truck.

Are you having them do the power rod mod as well? Blanking plate on the fuel pump?

16. IanB

IanB New Member

No power rod at this time, and I'll do the blanking plate myself when I get it back home. I'm going to add EGT/boost/tranny temp gauges before I do any further power mods, and I'll be turning the boost up to 14psi before I look into adding any fuel. This should keep me happy until I get back out to Vancouver to see the guys at ATEB again, lol.

17. Hugo4

Hugo4 New Member

With that LC, you won't have any excuse for missing work in the 'Peg when it snows two feet in January.

18. IanB

IanB New Member

Bit of a useless update, we are home safe and sound, had a great trip, and the truck ran great! Once I get a few minutes to myself I'll upload some of the pics from the trip. One discovery I made that I wasn't expecting: air horns. That is all for now.

19. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

glad the drive was un-eventful.

look forward to your pics of the journey.

20. RyanV

RyanV Member

How many kms did you rack up?

Good to hear the trip went without incident :) I noticed the horns while I was at the shop. Are they super loud? I have two horns on my truck, but the aftermarket ones aren't loud enough for my liking.