1HD-T Oil Analysis

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by RyanV, Mar 6, 2015.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

I had an oil analysis done for the Land Crusier and here's what they've sent me:

[​IMG]

I've never had this done before, so I'm not all informed on what I'm looking at. So far, all I got from them was this sheet. I was hoping for a bit of an explanation or greater clarity on acceptable levels. Looking at the bottom of the sheet on the "Wear Control Chart" I'd guess that the oil has gone through 30% of it's usable life. If that's the case, I guess that's pretty good. I'll need to confirm with them though.

Anything seem odd to anyone about the results?

2. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Wow... Ive always wanted to do this with my oil.!

I like the chemical breakdown at the top.

Id like to think that gives you an idea of engines condition. The new oil had no metal and now it has very tiny amount... I guess that came from your engine.. And lost calcium... So i guess it deposited somewhere.

When I see 30% to me that says only 70% of the oil is doing what its suppose to. But the viscosity at operating temp has only suffered a little 13.8 new vs 13.1 used. ( thinning out) ( 15w rating )

Could probably use a pittle longer without issue. But me personally .. Id change it now. Lol. How old ( time wise ) is that oil. 1 year?

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

I changed it last weekend and dropped off the sample on Monday, so pretty quick turn around for the results. I ran the oil for 5 months/8500 kms. Looking at those results I think I should be ok to go to 10,000kms, but I would like to get some confirmation/interpretation from AGAT on what they have provided.

4. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

This is some explanation from the laboratory about each component: http://www.agatlabs.com/Brochures/Tribology Brochure Print.pdf

It is not clear what is a normal level or what is "higher than expected" which you have to pay attention to. You can see another analyses on BobTheOilGuy and compare with you levels. People in the States mostly use Blackstone lab and they have better explanation with average levels etc.

5. RyanV

RyanV Member

Thanks Megatol. I found that last night as well when I was looking for info. It still doesn't tell me what acceptable levels are or what the wear control chart indicates though.

I considered Blackstone, but i figured it would just be easier to use someone local. Also, with the exchange rate right now I think AGAT is cheaper. Of course, if they aren't providing me with useful information it doesn't matter what the price difference is does it. Not that what's there is completely useless, there's just no "translation" for someone who isn't completely knowledgeable.

6. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Under "physical properties"
    Where it says h20 and gylcol.

I assume this is saying there is no contamination via leaking headgasket. Hence no water and gylcol in oil.

But Id like to understand more about this as well.

7. IanB

IanB New Member

Here's the UOA I had done on my old '91 HDJ81 so you have something to compare to, sample taken at about 8,000kms I believe, running Rotella 15w40 mineral oil.

I'm planning on having the new truck tested next oil change, I better get off my ass and order the kit before I need it.

Attached Files:

8. RyanV

RyanV Member

Thanks Ian. Nice to have something to compare to even if it's not exactly the same.