1998 Toyota Land Cruiser 100

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Megatol, Apr 21, 2016.

1. IanB

IanB New Member

Does this have upper/lower tailgates, or barn doors?

2. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

It has upper / lower tailgate. Next time I will look for Land Cruiser with spare tire underneath. While spare on the back is kind of convenient it makes car long enough to not fit in my garage. I have to remove spare tire if I want to park it inside, to much hassle :(

On cruise control speed limit disabling: didn't find anything, even more, looks like it doesn't have separate CC control unit, it is part of the main ECU. I definitely don't want to mess with main ECU.

3. IanB

IanB New Member

An acquaintance has just purchased a 100 series from Saudi Arabia, FZJ100 so it's the same inline 6 as the FZJ80's, but with a 5 speed manual trans. It's got the center console fridge, and rear spare tire carrier, but with the barn doors on the back. No rear locker either.

I hear you on the rear spare making the vehicle longer bit. I love the look, but as I'm in the back nearly every time I drive the truck to let the dog in and out, it gets a bit tedious. Plus, trying to find a hitch mount bike carrier that will work with the Land Cruiser and my wife's GX470 with the stupid swing gate rear door is proving near impossible. I need to be able to get in the back with bike's loaded on the rack, for something that will work reasonably well, it's prohibitively expensive.

4. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

First issue with Cruiser. Active height control system (AHC) failed and front suspension dropped into lowest position. It stopped to react on "Low/High" button.
    Not my car but was looking the same.
    [​IMG]

After reading some forums looks like most common problem are height position sensors, there are 2 on the front and 1 on the rear.
    Apparently there is self diagnostic procedure for AHC, only needed is paper clip. I shorted E1-Tc pins in the diagnostic connector and started to count AHC "Off" lamp flashes. It showed no errors, so it means all electric components are good.

Next step is a visual inspection and I found that front left sensor rod which connects it to the body is broken, so it fell into lowest position. I guess when AHC controller receives unusual signals from left (very low) and right (normal) sensor it goes into fail-safe mode and drops front down. To verify that the sensor is only reason I used piece of wire to keep it in the normal position and vehicle lifted the front and became normal again.

Sensors itself are pretty expensive ($300-400) but it is possible to buy only rod. Rod has couple ball joints, looks like stabilizer link, the broken one didn't have any movement in the joint, that's why it broke.
    They are different for right/left (part# 48907-60031, 48907-60041). Ordered both, should arrive this week.

[​IMG]

Pajerist and IanB like this.
  5. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Changed diff and transfer case oil.
    Also changed transmission fluid and filter. Apparently JDM Land Cruiser ATF filter is different from USDM, part # 35330-60040

ATF filter
    [​IMG]

Dropped the pan, it was pretty clean inside
    [​IMG]

Finally connected rear view camera to the reverse signal wire, before I have to turn on camera manually.
    Found correct wire in the connector on the left (passenger side), behind the kicker panel. Red wire with black strips

[​IMG]

Pajerist and IanB like this.
  6. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Just curious about fuel consumption with/without the trailer, city/highway...

7. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

It is a V8 and 19 years old heavy SUV, so, not so great...

Hwy: 13-14 L /100 km
    City (I'm trying to use it as a road trip vehicle, don't drive much in the city): 15-16 L/100, could be around 20 L in the winter

Towing: 22-23 L /100 km :rolleyes:

8. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

My A/C and more importantly beer fridge :) stopped to work some time ago. Looked under the vehicle and find the leak right away. High pressure line got hole from the road dirt and friction right in the area where it held by the bracket.
    (Pointed to the schema below and included part #)
    Apparently this is a common issue for LC 100 (LX470). It looks like an easy change on the schema, just couple nuts, but pipe itself is pretty long (~130 cm), it goes in between frame and body, very narrow space.
    According to Toyota FSM in the dealership they lift body from the frame to get additional clearance, so it is expensive procedure.

Decided to change myself. One of the nut is just above muffler, so muffler resonator should be removed as well. Prepared to fight with 19 years old bolts but to my surprise was able to unscrew all of them without breaking with the help of the torch. Also was able to squeeze it without lifting the body. Recharged freon and it works now, beer is cold.

[​IMG]

IanB likes this.