1998 Toyota Land Cruiser 100

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Megatol, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

We do a lot of camping. For the last 5 years we were using tent trailer but my wife wanted to upgrade it to hardwall camping trailer. Tent trailer was good, I parked it right in my garage in the winter (don't need to pay storage fee) but it is not very warm (last year we were camping in August and it was snow herein Alberta), you need to setup it, dry it after the rain etc. I needed something JDM, good for towing and camping trips.
    Sold my Prado and got full-size Land Cruiser 100.

It has V8 4.7L 2UZ, top of the line version: leather, heated seats, hydraulic suspension (can lower or rise it with push of the button), has central console fridge (pretty cool to keep beer cold in the summer :D)

[​IMG]

And past Saturday I won this 2013 Jayco 184BH trailer on the bank repo auction. I was looking for this particular model for a long time, it is small (20 feet including hitch, so can park it on my driveway in the summer months), has bank beds for kids and was in the very good condition.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Pajerist and RyanV like this.
  2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

pic dont work.. :(

3. IanB

IanB New Member

Pics don't work, and I want to see this thing! That would be the 1st 100 series I've seen imported to Canada, congrats on the new addition! Being a '98, that will be the non-vvti version of the 4.7 V8 I would expect, same as the wife's GX470. Does it have the rear e-locker?

4. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Should be working now :rolleyes:
    No, doesn't have rear e-locker, just standard center diff lock.

5. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

This is awesome, that trailer looks like a good size! Congrats.

6. Wolfd89

Wolfd89 Last in, first out

Nice setup. Now I don't want to camp in a tent after reading this thread.

Greg likes this.
  7. RyanV

RyanV Member

Two nice purchases, congrats!

As Ian said, I think this is the first RHD 100 series I've seen in Canada as well.

8. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Thanks everyone! I saw on the Brave Auto another Land Cruiser 100 for Canadian customer, so my not the only one here :)

Ha-ha. We were camping in the tent for 5 years, after that in the tent trailer another 5 years and now this. Every season we spent 30+ nights on campgrounds, so wife wants a little bit of comfort. This is just basic trailer, while at the auction we visited couple units with $50.000+ (reserve price) just to look inside, they were too much.

9. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

In early 1990 back in Motherland my family had a bunch of JDM vehicles and many of them had dangerous speed warning audio signal. This annoying signal was on when you reach a whopping 105 km/h. Good thing we didn't have many paved roads around and rarely heard that annoying sound.

Imagine my surprise when I've found this feature in this Land Cruiser. For 11 hours during my drive from Vancouver I was listening this annoying sound. Only loud music helped a bit.

After some research I found how to disable this speed warning signal. Apparently there is a secret screw which connects 2 contacts and enables it. Bad thing I have to disassemble whole dashboard and remove the circuit board. It is interesting how Toyota engineers decided to implement this, I guess for some markets they shipped dashboard without screw and for JDM market with it.

[​IMG]

Pajerist and tperkins like this.
  10. IanB

IanB New Member

Very sharp hundy! I like the pearl white color, and you get the rear spare tire carrier too which wasn't available in North America. Does it have a tan interior?

Looks like you could use a drop hitch so the trailer sits flat, might tow better that way.

Does the 100 have a cruise control governor like the 81's? I'm looking into ways to disable that on my truck for our road trip this summer as it only allows cruise to hold max 108km/h, with the bigger tires I'm able to cruise at 113km/h, which still isn't enough given the speed limit is 110km/h all the way to BC.

11. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Yes, interior is tan. I will put some pictures later, currently it is partially disassembled because I'm wiring brake controller and backup camera.

This picture with the trailer I took just when I got the trailer from the auction lot, my hitch is adjustable, so I moved it down and it is level now :)

My cruise control also limited to this speed. I didn't know it is possible to disable the limit, will keep an eye on your efforts about disabling, mine could be similar. Also can do my own research how it could be done.

12. IanB

IanB New Member

I've found old forum posts suggesting that adding a resistor to the cruise control ecu board will remove the cruise control limiter on the electronically controlled transmission HDJ81's ('93-'97), at the time I was looking into this I still had my '91 with full mechanical trans, so I almost forgot about it. I'm trying to source a spare CC ecu to experiment with so I don't ruin the one in the truck. I have no idea if this would carry over to the 100 series stuff though. Details of this mod are scarce to say the least.

In the meantime, larger rubber will "trick" the cruise and allow you a bit more speed from the CC, but at the expense of a bit taller gearing, which might not be ideal if you're towing a camper in the mountains. Being a '98, does this still have the 4 speed auto, or did you luck out and get the newer 5A that we didn't get till '04ish here?

13. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Maybe CC fix is similar to the fix I did for speed sound above? Just to remove some secret screw. LOL

Truck has 4 speed, I think 5 speed auto came from 2002 on JDM models.

IanB likes this.
  14. IanB

IanB New Member

I have the same engine in my wife's GX470, but with the 5A. I found that going up a size in tires really made the truck slower in acceleration, and I suspect it has contributed to an issue I have while towing a double snowmobile trailer with a big salt shield. The trailer tows like a parachute, but I can't maintain cruise speeds of 110km/h without the trans hunting in and out of OD, which means I just set the cruise at 105km/h and putt along. And this is in the prairies where we don't have much in the way of hills, I imagine the mountains would make things much worse. When we put new rubber on it in the fall, I'll be going back to stock size, same Duratracs though as they are excellent and have lasted about 70,000kms so far, with regular rotations.

Does your truck have a tranny cooler?

15. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Do you mean like additional cooler for tow package? I think it has only standard one.

This new trailer is only 500 lbs more (3000 lbs dry weight) than popup trailer. Land Cruiser is rated at 6500 lbs at towing capacity, so it should be around 50% of that. Should be good with standard cooler I think, especially here in Alberta is not so hot, we see 25+ C quite rare.

16. topgear

topgear New Member

Very nice!

17. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Nice pickup. Looks like a great camping vehicle!

18. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

I like it! It's like the unexpected JDM.

19. RyanV

RyanV Member

FYI:

http://planetsoarer.com/cruise/index.htm

MK1 Aristo has a very similar set up so guys have done the same thing and been able to delimit the cruise control. I don't know if it's anywhere near the same on the Land Cruisers, but if it can be done on Soarers, Aristos and Celsiors it can probably be done on Land Cruisers.

IanB likes this.
  20. IanB

IanB New Member

I just meant the factory tow package/trans cooler, as long as you've got one, that should be sufficient.

On the cruise control issue, my notes indicate on the HDJ81 you want to add a 6.8K resistor to the R507 slot. I haven't tested this yet, and have no idea if it would be the same on a 100 series. I'm guessing it would be different as they use different transmissions though.