1996 Alpina B8

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jun 20, 2013.

1. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Well you have a fresh set of new pads for when those once do get worn out eventually. Pretty cool car! now you have to decide what to do with the Aristo!

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

Not really....Keeping both :D At least that's the plan for now. I just need to get rid of the Mercedes.

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Got some stuff to work on the rear struts.

[​IMG]

4. RyanV

RyanV Member

Finally got to take the car on a road trip :) I thought the seats would get uncomfortable, but they were actually good for the whole trip. A couple of pics when I got where I was going:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, I had to drive on a small portion of dirt road through some road construction....not happy about that.

Sleeping while I enjoyed my time away :)

[​IMG]

Many, many bugs and dirt removed after I got home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speed Stick likes this.
  5. RyanV

RyanV Member

I had a chance to give the outside a decent detail yesterday. I wanted to do a light cut, but I ran out of time so I clay barred, used a swirl remover on the hood and just waxed the rest. Ignore the sun shield in the front LOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPUL and Speed Stick like this.
  6. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Car is looking good as always Ryan. You just need to give that bumper trim some love and it will be perfect!

7. Speed Stick

Speed Stick The Halifax kid

Such a nice car!

8. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

its gorgeous in person!

9. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Gawd that paint looks good. Is it as good in person as it looks like on the hood there?

10. RyanV

RyanV Member

Honestly, on the hood after I waxed and everything, yes, it did look that good. I was definitely happy with it. At first after I used the swirl remover, I wasn't that happy with the look, but after I applied and buffed the NXT wax I was definitely happy. There are a couple of other spots that need more significant work (as lenglish pointed out :p ), but overall I'm happy with it. When I bought the car i knew it wasn't in show room condition, but I'm doing what I can to fix bits of it and maintain the rest of it in it's current state.

For me to be VERY happy with the paint it would really need a complete respray. If I were to have that done, I would want it done right, so it wouldn't be cheap. Then I probably wouldn't want to drive it anywhere because I'd be afraid of someone scratching it or something. That said, the car is actually in the perfect condition for me. It has a few blemishes so I'm not afraid to take it places, but it's nice enough that I can get it all shined up and I'm happy with the way it looks. The Land Cruiser is actually starting to get a bit worn and the Aristo is almost too nice. I haven't driven the Aristo for a while, but when I had it out I didn't want to take it to parking lots because I was afraid someone would scratch it or put a ding in it with their car door.

IMPUL likes this.
  11. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

So sparkly the paint!! very nice!
    I almost don't like having cars with nice paint as its doomed to be ruined, but I try to keep em nice!

Speed Stick likes this.
  12. RyanV

RyanV Member

One more small thing done today that has annoyed me from the start:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

A keen eye will spot that it's not exactly the same, but it is genuine from Alpina. Massive thanks to testdriver over on the alpina.ca forum for sourcing the part for me :)

It wasn't quite the right size, so I spent some time with some sand paper to make it the right size. I didn't want to take some quick and easy route where someone would be able to tell it had been cut down to fit.

13. lenglish

Nice! Those little things always make a huge difference.

14. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

15. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

I did not notice until now but the Alpina badge is rather interesting. The right side has a crankshaft and the left side...? Is that a couple of velocity stacks on throttle bodies?

The car looks excellent as always. Nice work there.

16. lenglish

Neat, I hand't noticed that either. I've seen that logo hundreds of times, but only ever just glanced at it i guess. Now that you've pointed it our it's so obvious. Weird.

17. RyanV

RyanV Member

It's funny because I didn't look at the emblem that closely before I replaced the emblem on the shift knob. I even removed a big emblem off the trunk when i first got the car, but I didn't pay much attention to it.

My assumption on the left portion of the badge was the same as yours...probably velocity stacks.

18. IanB

IanB New Member

It's always nice getting the small details just the way you like them, usually means the important stuff is long ago squared away, lol. Beautiful car, love it.

19. RyanV

RyanV Member

Started working on reattaching the trim to the door. I actually don't like it, but it's what the car came with. As you can see in the second pic it's not as simple as just reattaching it. Holes were drilled in the panel to attach the piece, so if I want to have panels without the wood trim I'll need to buy replacement panels....annoying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

OOOh that new logo looks awesome!!! I like it!