1996 Alpina B8

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jun 20, 2013.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

I wanted to post the first thread in this area of the forum, so here it is! :D

This is my 1996 Alpina B8. I picked it up almost exactly two years ago, and I did the purchase through Mark at Brave Auto. If you haven't heard, he's pretty awesome :D

Here's a short summary on the car:

221 cars built with 93 of them being the saloon model I have purchased
    This is build #64
    Started with BMW 4.0L engine
    Alpina head
    Getrag 6spd gearbox
    Similar suspension etc as other Alpina's except front brakes are custom Lucas rotors with special calipers (....I really hope I don't have to replace these...)
    Alpina accents (first owner didn't order Alpina badges seats though)
    Claimed 0-60 in 5.6, however it has been suggested that this is conservative
    333 hp, 350 ft-lb

So far the car has been good and reliable. Only real notable problem I've had is a misfire that ended up being a result of the car not liking the Bosch Platinum spark plug I put in the car. I think my brake pads might need replacing soon, but that's no biggy....except for maybe the fronts....Unfortunately, I haven't been able to drive it as much as I would like but I absolutely love it every time I do :)

I'll post more info later. For not here's some pics....hmmm...good thing I know how to link external images :D I'm sure we'll get it set up on the site eventually...

At Mark's shop in Japan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First night at home with the Aristo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best day of driving ever out to Duffy Lake:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the fall:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't seem to have any handy of the engine bay. I'll get one or more up later :D

2. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

Of course, I know about your car but looking at the pics makes me not able to stop drooling.
    Mark has great cars eh?

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

The cars he gets in stock are always nice for sure. I noticed this one at auction though and got him to put a bid on it. He still hasn't told me the story yet, but he was on holiday at the time, and there was something about a museum and a castle or something....LOL not sure he hasn't told me the story :D

4. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Ah your Alpina. You will have to bring it out to a Duncan meet for sure!

5. Soren

Soren Hiatus is the best way to control the urges..

Yes! Soo nice. I don't know how you can keep up to so many cars! :D

6. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Never seen Alpine "alive"...looks good!

Does it have stock rims or?

Thanks,

7. RyanV

RyanV Member

I'll bring it over to the island at some point while I'm over here. I've got a different toy over at the moment though ;)

Actually, the rims that are on is ARE the stock rims. This is how it came from the Alpina factory. When it goes to Alpina the car actually gets a whole new VIN. It comes out of the BMW factory with a BMW VIN, but then that is scratched out and a new one is put in a couple of places.

8. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

There is the all JDM car show Sunday I'm sure it'd like to get shown off at...

9. Braden

Braden New Member

That is a sexy bmw. 333hp naturally aspirated in these things feel so good. Nice color as well.

10. RyanV

RyanV Member

Camping on the Mainland this weekend, and I'd have to bring it over a weekend prior. Wish I had something at Qualicum last weekend too :(

I like the blue as well :)

The power takes some getting used to. I had gotten used to turbo cars where you have that lag. Foot down at even 3/4 throttle and it was surprising...instant power.

11. Speed Stick

Speed Stick The Halifax kid

Always loved the looks and specs of your car! If I couldn't import RHD cars into Canada for any reason this is what I'd import instead.

12. Tudor

Tudor Straight Ballin'

Seen this thing in person! Awesome car Ryan!

13. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

I love your car collection, hopefully we'll see threads on the others over here too!

14. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Beautiful car Ryan, I'd love to go for a ride in it sometime.

I can't really picture what the e36 would feel like with that big beefy V8 stuffed inside, but I bet it's awesome!

15. RyanV

RyanV Member

It sure is! I think it's because I usually drive around in the Land Cruiser, but it still surprises me when I put my foot down :D

Looks like I might have a few more expenses coming up than I was thinking....I knew the brakes were getting low and there is a rattle that's been annoying me, so I thought I'd get the car up, have a look at the brakes and fix what I thought was causing the rattle. I didn't find the rattle, the brakes seem ok, but anything under the car that has rubber seems to be going to shit.

I didn't get a pic, but the engine mounts aren't looking too great. Not failed, but splitting and such all over. They look like typical old rubber that's had it's day. Much worse is the top of the rear shock (which also may be slightly leaking) and some other bushing that can be seen in the last pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. SilverStar

SilverStar New Member

Shitty deal Ryan, shocks aren't such a big issue but judging by the rubber bushings on the shock and sway bar end link looks like you may be getting into a complete bushing overhaul which is a PITA. Polyurethane upgrade time!!

On another note I never knew that Alpina's were fitted with Eibach springs, sweet!

17. RyanV

RyanV Member

The good thing is that almost everything like the bushings should be the same as other E36's or the E36 M3. I'm not sure on the motor mounts, but I might have to do an order from Alpina anyway for new brake pads.

18. SilverStar

SilverStar New Member

You are probably right, I would double check though. I wouldn't be surprised if the sway bars are a different diameter than standard E36 M3's and like you said motor mounts will likely be an Alpina part.

19. RyanV

RyanV Member

Before I noticed the items above I orders some belts and tensioners etc. since a guy in Germany just had a tensioner let go and cause some expensive damage to his freshly painted car :( Plus I've been getting a whine for a while that I'm sure is from some bad bearings on one of the tensioners.

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replaced the pulleys and the whine is gone, yay!

The bad news is that the belts and the fan didn't fit. I have the parts catalogue for the B8, so I'm not sure why I didn't look at it before I ordered the parts. I just assumed things would be the same as the 540i.

New brakes are here!

Just pads up front and pads and rotors for the rear. Front pads cost me about $400 since they are Alpina specific :(

[​IMG]

Finally did my front brakes the other day. They were squeaking lots and it looked like the front pads were worn. Turned out they weren't as bad as I thought.....Oh well..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I see this was the cause of the rattle....and maybe the squeaking too. What you can see is a sort of spring that firmly holds the pads in place once the caliper is on. Someone didn't place it properly before.

[​IMG]

20. IanB

IanB New Member

Love these cars! Nice to hear you got the brakes figured out.