1994 HDJ81 Toyota Land Cruiser

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

That looks good.

I like it.

2. IanB

IanB New Member

Those wheels fit perfect, and I like the dark bronze with the green. Those tires though...look too passenger car, they look out of place on such a badass truck IMO. The tires hold the wheels back.

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Thanks! :)

Agreed, but as I mentioned this thing is basically a grocery getter for the next few years, so it made sense to get these less aggressive tires for now.

I have only driven about 100km on this setup, but initial observations are that there seems to be lest tire noise. I think I'd now describe the noise more as a "whirring" where as the TA's were more of a "humming." The ride is definitely smoother. I'd guess that this is either due to the tires balancing out better or the fact that the wheels are a proper hub-centric fitting. Looking at the new wheels/tires, two didn't have any weights to balance out and the most on any rim was 2.5oz. With the BFG's all the wheels had weights with the most being 4.5oz.

IanB likes this.
  4. ftgf

ftgf New Member

Beauty man. Love the stealth customs.

5. RyanV

RyanV Member

YES!!! Depo headlights arrived yesterday! Not new, but in decent shape. I'll have to get some Lamin-X or something to protect the glass. The plan is to retrofit them with projectors and HID. No idea when I'll get to it, but I'm happy to finally have these headlights. I've been wanting them for a while.

[​IMG]

Otherwise, I've been getting a bit of wandering with the steering the last few weeks and then on Thursday it started making some noise like it as an issue with the wheel bearing. I tore into it last night and the nuts definitely needed to be tightened. It took a long longer than it should have though because when I opened up the second side I realized I forgot to fold the tab over the outer nut on the first side. Bonehead move. At least I realized it.

6. RyanV

RyanV Member

I got the air box from a Duramax installed yesterday. Well, mostly installed. I still need to get it mounted. I have a piece of aluminum flat bar that I might use to support the air box. For now it's just "loose" in there. It's not really that loose though. First drive today I didn't run it hard, but there is definitely a lot more induction sound starting from 1800 rpm. I need to order a new air filter and then I'll see what it's like as RPM's climb.

Old stuff all removed.
    [​IMG]

Turbo still looks good and no noticeable shaft play. I think I've got 40-50,000 kms on it now.

[​IMG]

"Installed"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might still trim a bit more off the bottom to get it to sit just a bit lower. I'll pop the hood later today and see if there is a mark from it hitting the hood as it currently sits.

IanB likes this.
  7. IanB

IanB New Member

Is that airbox pulling from the fender, or the engine bay?

8. RyanV

RyanV Member

I'd say a little bit of both right now. You can see the inlet in the last photo of this post:

1994 HDJ81 Toyota Land Cruiser

That large opening in the box is the inlet and is facing the opening in the fender where the stock box pulls air from. I intend to "seal" it up to the side, but I'm still thinking about how to do that. I want to get the box fixed in place first, so I know exactly where it will be sitting and can take measurements. My first thoughts are to find some closed cell foam to bridge the gap between the box and the fender; however, the gap might be too large and the foam not rigid enough, so it could end up collapsing towards the inlet. I have a few ideas on how to make it more rigid, but haven't bought any foam yet to do any testing.

IanB likes this.