1994 HDJ81 Toyota Land Cruiser

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jul 18, 2013.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

Well, another bit of good luck, but a bit more $$$. I got a line on some used Depo headlights. It will be January sometime before I get them, but I'm thinking this will be one of the last mods I do (going to do HID retrofit). After that, it'll just be maintaining the rig which there is always something to do since it's over 25 years old and pretty much at 300k kms.

2. IanB

IanB New Member

I LOVE my HID retrofit in DEPO's, one of my favorite mods.

Were you going to do the retrofit yourself, or have someone do it for you? Any idea what parts you'll use? HID on low beam only, or both high and low?

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

I will be doing the retrofit myself. I had bookmarked a good DIY from mud, but I recently formatted my desktop computer, and I didn't remember to export my bookmarks first. Doing a quick search I think this was the one I was thinking of going with:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bi-xenon-retro-fit-simplified.415588/

Looks easy to install with only minimal permanent modifications to the housing, and it's bi-xenon, so I'll retain the fog lights as well.

4. IanB

IanB New Member

The DEPO's are a low/high configuration, no integrated foglight like the OEM HDJ81 units. Are you still running the stock HDJ81 headlights in your truck?!? I had to change mine out to pass safety.

My retrofit has a bi-xenon projector in the low beam side, and 100w high beam and unshrouded projector for the high beams, they are great!

RyanV likes this.
  5. RyanV

RyanV Member

No, I have E-Code headlights, so it runs the same wiring/headlight setup as the JDM setup.

I'll have to go back and research on it more. I looked into it previously, but I don't remember what I found. I thought I remembered the setup being basically plug and play with the JDM wiring, but I couldn't even tell you off hand which bulbs I currently run.

In all honesty, I think my priority over the next while will be to get the M5 ready to sell. Once I've dealt with that I can move on to the stuff I've been collecting for the Land Cruiser. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get to it until 2021. Baby arriving late May 2020, so I'll be back to zero free time for quite a while.

6. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

another baby on the way. Congrats buddy.

7. IanB

IanB New Member

Another baby?!? Congrats!! RIP free time, lol.

8. RyanV

RyanV Member

Thanks guys!

I got time on Sunday to wash, clay bar and wax. Buffing the wax became a rush and a total PITA though because it was close to 4:00 so the sun was going down and so was the temperature which was causing just a small amount of moisture to form on the body. I had to keep changing the buffing rag and working quickly. I was going over it after with the light on my phone to see if I missed any spots. I didn't find many, so hopefully I got it all.

I'll have to post the photos later...I only have access to Microsoft Edge at work for a browser and I am not a fan...

9. RyanV

RyanV Member

Photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's either going to be the weekend before Christmas before I get the new wheels on or sometime in January. I've been looking at different valve stems, but I think I'm going to stick with black rubber ones and just get them to order short ones.

IanB and tperkins like this.
  10. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

How much do you want for those rims? Haha

11. RyanV

RyanV Member

tperkins likes this.
  12. RyanV

RyanV Member

Milestone today:

[​IMG]

Also got some maintenance done: oil change, new fuel filter, tire rotation and drain and fill on the transmission. The fluid looked ok on the transmission, so I probably didn't need to do the drain and fill, but now I know I have it base lined and I can just maintain it myself from here.

IanB likes this.
  13. RyanV

RyanV Member

I've made a deal to sell the 4x4 Engineering wheels and tires, so now I just have to get my new tires purchased and installed. Unfortunately, the Cooper AT3 XLT tires I wanted to try are sold out everywhere. Disappointing, especially since they are currently shown on sale at Canadian Tire. I'll wait until later this week and see if Duratrac's go on sale for next week at Canadian Tire. If so, I'll have to decide whether to go back to the Duratrac's or stick with the BFG TA KO2's. If Duratracs are on sale, they'd probably $300-400 cheaper than the BFG's. Decisions, decisions...

IanB likes this.