1994 HDJ81 Toyota Land Cruiser

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jul 18, 2013.

1. IanB

IanB New Member

That looks exactly like my 1st Gturbo, can't be that old with the green wheel! Nice score!

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yeah, the timing was perfect, and as you mention, it's probably only about a year old, or a bit more. I've been watching the CAD/AUD rate and if it got to 1.15:1 then I was going to buy, but now I don't have to watch and hope! I got this for about half the cost of a new one, but it does carry some risk being used vs new of course.

IanB likes this.
  3. RyanV

RyanV Member

I finally got the truck back from the shop, and it rides much nicer now. With the rear u-joints replaced as well as the bushings replaced on the rear upper and lower trailing arms it's noticeably better. The valves were also re-shimmed and it seems like the exhaust smokes less than before. It's possible that Mr. Voo made minor pump adjustments as well since he seems to like to tinker with it when he works on the truck. Unfortunately, I still have an occasional squeal when in reverse. I thought it was the u-joint, but it must be the brakes. The rims aren't hot after driving, so I don't think the brakes are dragging, but there is obviously something going on there. I'll have to get to rebuilding the spare calipers I have.

4. IanB

IanB New Member

Are the squeal bars on the pads close to hitting the rotors? Could be they only contact in reverse at this pad level, and you'll start to hear it all the time with a bit more wear?

RyanV likes this.
  5. RyanV

RyanV Member

I didn't take a wheel off to have a closer look, but it seems like there is enough pad thickness there that it shouldn't be hitting the squeal bars. I'll check it in a month or so when I need to do an oil change and tire rotation.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

IanB likes this.
  6. RyanV

RyanV Member

[​IMG]
    On order . Bought a blemished set of 5 on discount. I think a lighter bronze would look better, but I'm sure these will still look alright.

I got the 16x8 et. -25. Partially so I can just swap over my current tires, but also I don't think I want to run bigger rims.

IanB likes this.
  7. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Nice, I wanted something like this for the Pajero. At the time though I got all 5 steelies for 420 CAD in my hands.

8. IanB

IanB New Member

I've been looking at the same model wheels in gunmetal or stealth blue for over a year now, they look great on these trucks.

9. RyanV

RyanV Member

I've been looking for a while as well, but not for these specifically. I wanted to get TE37X's, but obviously, very pricey, and I also wanted the GTurbo. I was trying to import used ones from Japan, but I couldn't get a good price on shipping. I was also looking at the Bradley V's but for the price, it made more sense to get the SCS wheels.

Here's where they list all the blemished wheels they have for sale:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/scs-blemished-wheels.264466/

I was also debating the gunmetal, but in the dark matte, they are also a bit darker than I'd really want. I'm guessing the dark bronze I purchased will look darker than I'd like when lighting conditions are lower, but in the sunlight I think I'll like the look. I've been watching for them for a few months after I found the thread, these are the first ones I've seen come up in that time. They had 9 of them in the matte bronze and they were gone in about a day and a half.

That's definitely much cheaper than what I paid! They look good on your rig too :) The black suits it well!

10. RyanV

RyanV Member

Picked up the wheels last week and had a chance to un box:

[​IMG]

I'm going to have to go back and get the lugs they offer though. What I have now will be a bit short I think. First photo is taken indoors, second photo outside in the sun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You definitely get a few different shades with these depending on the lighting. Still not 100% sure what I think of the colour choice, but it will probably look ok once I get them mounted up.

Pajerist likes this.
  11. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Oh dang those looks good. I want some other rims for my truck.
    Wait what are you doing with your old rims?

12. RyanV

RyanV Member

Selling:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/wto/d/langley-township-east-five-4x4/7030482085.html

I'd prefer to sell the wheels and tires together, so I can just get new tires with the new wheels. Nothing wrong with the ones I have, but I'd rather pay to have new tires installed rather than pay to have old tires removed and installed.

13. Dah_Hunter

Dang. I want, but no way i can convince my wife thats out of the christmas budget for sure. lol

14. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yeah, Bradley wheels aren't cheap, and the TA KO2 tires are expensive too. If I buy a new set of those, it's going to cost me about $1,900 by the time they are mounted and balanced taxes and all.

15. Dah_Hunter

Discount tire has them. T/A KO2 LT285 /75 R16 126R E1 RWL
    and its $1400 CAD installed. (Tax's etc)

They are just down in Bellingham i get tires there a fair bit, super nice guys.

(This is for 4, i just realized that you need 5) soooo ya never mind. lol

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  16. RyanV

RyanV Member

Thanks for the tip, but yeah, when I estimated it for the 5, it was maybe going to be $50 cheaper to buy there.

I did by my Duratrac's there when I got them back in 2015 or so :)

17. IanB

IanB New Member

Those wheels will look great! What are you getting for new tires?

18. RyanV

RyanV Member

I'm not sure. I'll see if I sell what I have first. Yesterday, I was thinking of going back to Duratracs since (on sale) they are $60-70 per tire cheaper. I went back to the BFG's after Duratracs because they got too noisy for me once they were down closer to 50% wear. I don't go offroad nearly as much as I used to, so I'm also debating a less aggressive A/T tire, but I know the truck won't have the same aesthetic appeal if I do that.

19. IanB

IanB New Member

I've never had a set of Duratracs get noisy on me (6 sets on 5 different SUV's), rotating every 10K kms seems to be the key. They also go on sale 25% off at Can Tire every 3rd week it seems, which makes them a very strong value compared to other severe winter rated AT tires.

20. RyanV

RyanV Member

I do the same...rotate with each oil change every 10,000 kms. I've also added a transmission drain and fill to that service timing. Maybe noisy is not quite the right word, but when I switched from BFG to Duratrac I noticed a bit more noise right from the start. When I went back to BFG from the Duratracs it was noticeably quieter. I should also clarify that this is at highway speeds. Around town I don't think there is any difference to speak of.

If I do get new tires, I think I'm going to try the Cooper AT3 XLT:

ca.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-xlt

They go on sale at Canadian tire too and are very reasonably priced. The information/reviews I've found on them so far seem to be really positive as well. I'm not sure if they have the severe winter rating though.

*Edit: The Coopers are not severe winter rated. Just M+S.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019