1994 HDJ81 Toyota Land Cruiser

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jul 18, 2013.

1. IanB

IanB New Member

Pro tip for removing rubber brake hoses: cut them off close to the fitting and put a socket over the fitting, easy peazy.

RyanV likes this.
  2. RyanV

RyanV Member

Great tip, thanks Ian!

I haven't done the brake lines yet, but I just changed the three belts and the fuel filter. The filter was being a PITA and kept dripping after the change. I had to tighten up the wingnut drain on the bottom. I was afraid I was going to break it and then it would really be a problem. I'm thinking I'll maybe put it on my list of things to buy next time I do an order from Partsouq.

I also finally measured the lift. Before the Dobinsons kit I was 610mm in the rear and 590mm in the front (center of hub to underside of flare). After the Dobinsons kit install I measure 590mm in the rear and 555mm in the front. I was thinking I could see the difference in the angle with the front being a bit lower, but I thought it might just be my mind playing tricks on my, but I was actually right. I like the bit of "stink bug" look. This way when it gets loaded up the rear doesn't look like it's sagging. I lost a bit more lift than I was hoping (I was looking more at 10-12mm), but I don't mind. The truck rides much nicer than before. I think I need to change out the old isolators in the rear or slightly adjust the right rear spring though because it's squeaking a bit. Not all the time, but more often than not.

IanB likes this.
  3. RyanV

RyanV Member

If working on this truck were a battle, I'd definitely be on the losing end the last while. I tried removing the brake lines, but I couldn't get them to budge (both front and rear) even after having them soaking for days with penetrating oil. I guess I'll take it to a shop to get this done. Then last night I went to install the new insulators on the rear springs and slightly adjust the position of the springs because I was getting a bit of squeaking. That went ok, but I also noticed the bump stops for the rear had fallen apart, so I intended to replace those...nope, three of the four bolts sheared off, so no bump stops for now.

Otherwise, since it's been off the road I got the truck claybared, polished and waxed. I also removed and washed the air filter. I think I'm just going back to the disposable type. I don't feel like it cleaned up that well. I'd also like to get the replacement gauges installed, but I'm running out of time because I'd like to have it back on the road for the end of the month. Not that I can't work on it then. It's just easier when it's off the road and parked in the garage. Looking closer at my front brakes I just need pads. I can't believe how long these front brakes have lasted me. I think I have 80,000kms on them.

IanB likes this.
  4. RyanV

RyanV Member

Oh, yeah, I forgot about this as well...When I was changing the belts I pulled off one piece of IC pipe to get access to loosen off the alternator and found a few issues:

[​IMG]

Nice complete weld to hold at the clamp that obviously wasn't leaking at all :rolleyes:. The good news is that the oil that's there must have been from the old turbo because the inside of the piping all looked clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another sooty looking spot shows some leaks at a weld. I guess I'll get that touched up. And also that dent/wear spot where the piping was rubbing on an AC hard line. I put a silicone boot over that spot so it doesn't rub through the pipe.

It's things like this that make me wish I just went with the Safari kit. It was bad timing on the purchase since the group buy happened just after I had this put in. The one advantage I have is that with my setup and pipe routing I could easily change to a bigger intercooler if I wanted.

And finally a photo of the brake lines before installation:

[​IMG]

And I put this in a while back. Not so much that i need to use the block heater, but I just got tired of seeing the plug hanging out the front of the bumper. This is much cleaner :D

[​IMG]

Also when tieing up the cable on the back side I noticed that the bracket for the plastic piece on the front right of the bumper is broken. It's probably been like this the whole time I've owned the truck since it has that scrape you can sort of see in the photo above. I just didn't notice it before.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    IanB likes this.
  5. IanB

IanB New Member

I'm telling you, just cut the hose close to the fitting, and put a socket over it, easy peezy, albeit a bit messy from brake fluid dripping. But those fittings ARE coming off.

RyanV likes this.
  6. RyanV

RyanV Member

I hear ya, but I have enough other things on my plate to deal with that I don't mind taking this issue to the shop for someone else to deal with. I appreciate the tip though.

IanB likes this.
  7. IanB

IanB New Member

You had ATEB do a full exhaust on your truck as well, did you not?

I was always under the impression that they did a custom dump pipe as well, but when installing my turbo last week found it was still the OEM cast dump pipe on mine.

As an added bonus, it appears my Aeroturbine muffler has developed a rattle like the baffle has come apart or something since changing the turbo, bringing it by an exhaust shop to explore further after work today.

8. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yes, that was the one I removed. I now have a stainless Fujitsubo system.

I remember you making a similar statement somewhere else, and I figured it was something maybe they changed as they did more systems over the years because when I looked at mine I saw it still had the factory elbow off the turbo.

The stainless steel brake lines are in. It could be a "placebo effect", but I think the brake pedal does have a bit better feel and is more firm than before, but a bit hard to say when I've been driving something else for the past two months. I'll probably drive this for the next month and a half or so and then I might switch over to the Aristo until the end of September since it hasn't been driven since last October.

IanB likes this.
  9. RyanV

RyanV Member

I thought about this a bit more on my drive in today, and maybe that elbow is the reason why I didn't see any change to my EGT's when I switched from the ATEB exhaust to the Fujitsubo...? The Fujitsubo is only slightly smaller diameter, but it actually makes quite a bit of difference in the cross sectional area. That combined with the extra bends I was expecting EGT's to rise, but perhaps that elbow is currently the biggest restriction?

Also, I forgot to mention, this truck is starting to show its age on some components. I have two water leaks to address. One is at the rear hatch which should be as simple as replacing the rear weather stripping, but the other is somewhere at the front (likely drivers side), but I haven't tracked down the source yet. I also noticed the bushings on the rear trailing arms don't look great which probably explains the bit of a "clunk" I get sometimes when I come to a complete stop and on takeoff from a stop. That probably also means I need to replace bushings on the panhard and I should probably look for other rubber bits that look tired...Just add it to the list of things to do!

10. IanB

IanB New Member

I'm actually pretty dissapointed to find the stock dump pipe still there, I was under the impression they had done a turbo-back 3" system, that factory dump tube is certainly the bottleneck in the system. I can see myself addressing this before looking at intercoolers.