1994 HDJ81 Toyota Land Cruiser

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jul 18, 2013.

1. IanB

IanB New Member

Oh wow...proof positive that post turbo EGT readings are nearly useless.

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

Got a start on work this week with most of the work getting done yesterday.

Shocks removed. Left rear was a PITA to remove. Proper set of pry bars on order to make jobs like this easier in the future.

[​IMG]

Exhaust is mostly out. I just have to finish unbolting from the elbow. I have the bottom nut off, just the two top to remove. Quite a few pin holes in the system at the weld locations.

[​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Delivery from Partsouq :)

[​IMG]

Finished removing the last piece of exhaust last night and got the new system in place just loosely bolted and today I wire brushed off a spare set of rear brake calipers and I have them soaking in vinegar to get cleaned up and then I'll get them painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RyanV

RyanV Member

The exhaust is now bolted up tight. I haven't started it up to see what it sounds like though. Also, one step back...before I parked the truck in the garage I noticed what seemed like extra moisture at the driver's side floor mat. I just thought it was because I was getting in and out of the truck so much and it had been raining non-stop all January. Apparently not...I haven't dug into it, but the carpet is definitely wet. Maybe a leak at the windshield, broken drain on the A pillar or issue with the vapour barrier on the door. Those are my guesses for now until I dig into it.

Delivery picked up today as well:

[​IMG]

The Dobinson stuff doesn't seem to be well known, but I could only find positive reviews on the stuff from them, so I think that's a good sign since people are more likely to post negative reviews. Also, it was basically the same price as an OME kit. This is basically equivalent since I went with just standard style springs. I guess they are maybe a medium kit as they are good for 100kg constant load in the back. It will be a similar lift to what I have now. I have 3" now and this should be 2.5-3".

A bit of an odd thing I noticed on the front drive shaft while bolting up the exhaust:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big groove in the front drive shaft at the sway bar. It must have been like this the whole time I've owned the truck. I guess it rubbed the sway bar, or someone, grooved it out rather than buying drop links for the sway bar? I don't know, but it probably explains why I had vibrations at higher speeds when the truck was full time 4wd.

5. IanB

IanB New Member

Dobinsons stuff is getting to be pretty popular in North America lately, didn't really see it at all just a few years ago, but it's been a big name in Australia for ever. I'm sure you'll love it!

That front DS bit is weird, I'll try and check mine in the next couple of days and see what it looks like in comparison. I want to say mine has that clearance as well...we'll see.

6. RyanV

RyanV Member

All of the photos I was able to find online I didn't see a similar groove. I'm just not sure if it is there from wear or if it was done intentionally. It looks like there could be a small dent or wear on the sway bar, but I would think if there was that much wear on the drive shaft there would be more on the sway bar since it would always be rubbing the same location on the sway bar. I should be able to pick up a used replacement relatively cheap. In the mean time, I'm not too worried about it since my truck is rarely in 4wd these days.

7. IanB

IanB New Member

OK, my front driveshaft is different than yours, what you've got still doesn't look like a wear pattern to me though.

FDS.jpg

RyanV likes this.
  8. IanB

IanB New Member

You can see where mine necks down, but it doesn't neck out again like yours...I knew mine had something similar going on, but they aren't the same.

9. RyanV

RyanV Member

Thanks Ian. I'll have to keep an eye out for someone parting a rig. I think there are some still floating around locally, but the ad doesn't get renewed that often.

Progress made with the shocks and the springs installed on the front and rear. Leading (or radius) arms to be removed next to have the castor correction bushings installed. I also noticed more stuff that needs to be done. I guess it's part of the reason why I like doing things myself...I notice things that might not be mentioned if I take my truck in somewhere....The front brake lines definitely need to be replaced. On one section the rubber on the outside is completely gone. I guess I'll replace all four axle to caliper rubber lines. I read a few threads on changing to braided stainless steel lines, but it sounds like the general consensus was it's best just to stick with OEM rubber replacements.

I also noticed when I removed the breather from the front axle that there was a bit of a "hiss". I've suspected that there was an issue with the line or the valve on the breather for a while since every now and then it would seem to just burp and splash diff oil. I suspected the pressure was building up and then just suddenly releasing and making a mess. Also, a bump stop was missing from the right rear....owning old vehicles...

I have a few pictures I'll post up of the old vs new springs. I didn't really pay attention to it before, but there were small spacers on the front (maybe 1")and probably 2" spacers on the rear making up most of the lift. Once I have all the crap removed out of the back I'll take new measurements from the center of the hub to the fender. I suspect I'll be about 10mm lower than before.

10. IanB

IanB New Member

You could probably just have your current one re-balanced too, and the shop that does that work could probably tell you straight up if it's an issue at that time.

11. RyanV

RyanV Member

Castor correction bushings are installed and I had new bushings put on the rear of the arms as well. I had my first drive in the truck this morning. It definitely feels like a stiffer ride than before, but I guess it would compared to blown shocks, LOL! Still, it's definitely stiffer than I remember after I first had the Fox shocks installed. I remember the Fox shocks feeling more like they absorbed harsh bumps (eg. deck joints on a bridge) where as this isn't quite as comfortable. Overall, the ride is definitely better though. The steering seems to be especially noticeable. I have always felt there was some vagueness to the steering, but it's much better now. Not nearly as responsive as driving one of the BMW's, but it's good.

I seem to be having trouble tracking down OEM front brake lines. The usual sources seem to be out and the one dealer I asked wants $100 per hose for the fronts. I can get the Slee stainless lines for the front and back for that price which is what I'm leaning towards at the moment.

12. IanB

IanB New Member

Brake hoses should be on Partsouq if you want OEM.

Proper castor settings makes a big difference. Much less wandering on the road.

Where's the pics on it's new legs?

RyanV likes this.
  13. RyanV

RyanV Member

I checked there first but no luck:

https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=90947-02714

Zero stock :( I also sent an e-mail to Onur with a long list of parts, but he doesn't really seem interested in getting them. Which I found weird because he's always wanted to get stuff for me before. Maybe he's just too busy now.

Yeah, wandering is pretty much eliminated. It's much better to drive through rutted asphalt areas as well since it's taken some slop out of the steering.

I have a few pics of the install I still planned to upload, but no pics of the new stance. Life is crazy busy these days.

14. IanB

IanB New Member

Onur seems to have shifted his focus to guys doing full restos or other odd, projects, I've had the same response from him the last couple times I've reached out for parts.

15. RyanV

RyanV Member

While I had the truck off the road to install the suspension I also did this window "fix":

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/got-slow-windows-heres-the-fix.840926/

@IanB I highly recommend this. It's actually pretty easy and it definitely made more difference in the window speed than anything else I've tried.

Did a run over the Coquihalla this weekend and I'm happy to report that the "new" exhaust doesn't seem to have really made any difference in my EGT's (which is also a bit surprising). I thought with losing a few millimeters off the diameter, the mufflers and routing of the Fujitsubo system would have resulted in higher EGT's or getting there faster, but it was pretty much exactly the same results as the last time I drove that route. I had cruise set for about 105 km/hr and the only time I had to lock up 3rd was coming up to the summit out of Hope and then part of the run coming up the connector out of Kelowna.

Also definitely happy with the Dobinsons syspension over what I had before. It is a bit firm/bouncy at slower speeds around town, but on the highway it's actually pretty nice. Still pretty firm, but it soaks up the bumps nicely. I remember if feeling a lot more jarring with the old suspension. I may not have seated one or both of the rear springs though. Sometimes I'm getting a squeaking from the rear. It's not all the time though and I'm also thinking it could be the rear tire swing since I'm having issues getting it to sit firmly when it latches, but that's usually more of a rattle than a squeak.

16. IanB

IanB New Member

I'll give that a read, and likely add it to my list of things to do for next winter.

Glad to hear you're liking the new suspension!

How does the new exhaust sound?

As for the rear spare tire swing arm, the rubber stopper is adjustable if you're not getting it to sit firmly when latched. I realized this after buying a new one, the rubber was definitely compressed on the old one, but with an adjustment it would have still worked perfectly fine, doh.

RyanV likes this.
  17. RyanV

RyanV Member

Thanks Ian. I did try that, but I had it most of the way out. How much does your tire swing rest or touch on the bracket on the hatch? When I had the stopper adjusted out it wasn't touching that top bracket anymore. I'm not sure if it's supposed to, but mine always has when it's been closed.

The Fujitsubo system is definitely quieter. At highway speeds it doesn't really make any difference because there is so much noise from other things, but around town it's noticeable. I do miss the sound from the old exhaust :( I'll especially miss it when the weather gets warmer and I'm driving with the windows down.

18. IanB

IanB New Member

I would really miss my exhaust, the noises it makes are very pleasing to me, lol.

I replaced the upper hatch bracket last year as the rubber was shrinking and the bracket was starting to get crusty. The tire carrier is fully engaged and held snug by the rubber insert, I'll try and snap a pic this evening for you.

19. IanB

IanB New Member

Here's a few shots of how my tire carrier engages the upper bracket.

IMG_3377 (Large).JPG IMG_3378 (Large).JPG

20. RyanV

RyanV Member

Thanks Ian. There's definitely more gap than that on mine. I guess I'll add it to the list of replacement bits I still need to get...

In the mean time, I have the truck off the road again. Given the price and limited availability of OEM brake lines I decided to go with SLEE stainless steel lines good for 4" lift. I got the whole kit, so i'll be replacing the frame to axle lines as well as the axle to caliper.