1994 HDJ81 Toyota Land Cruiser

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jul 18, 2013.

1. IanB

IanB New Member

Oh wow...proof positive that post turbo EGT readings are nearly useless.

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

Got a start on work this week with most of the work getting done yesterday.

Shocks removed. Left rear was a PITA to remove. Proper set of pry bars on order to make jobs like this easier in the future.

[​IMG]

Exhaust is mostly out. I just have to finish unbolting from the elbow. I have the bottom nut off, just the two top to remove. Quite a few pin holes in the system at the weld locations.

[​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Delivery from Partsouq :)

[​IMG]

Finished removing the last piece of exhaust last night and got the new system in place just loosely bolted and today I wire brushed off a spare set of rear brake calipers and I have them soaking in vinegar to get cleaned up and then I'll get them painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RyanV

RyanV Member

The exhaust is now bolted up tight. I haven't started it up to see what it sounds like though. Also, one step back...before I parked the truck in the garage I noticed what seemed like extra moisture at the driver's side floor mat. I just thought it was because I was getting in and out of the truck so much and it had been raining non-stop all January. Apparently not...I haven't dug into it, but the carpet is definitely wet. Maybe a leak at the windshield, broken drain on the A pillar or issue with the vapour barrier on the door. Those are my guesses for now until I dig into it.

Delivery picked up today as well:

[​IMG]

The Dobinson stuff doesn't seem to be well known, but I could only find positive reviews on the stuff from them, so I think that's a good sign since people are more likely to post negative reviews. Also, it was basically the same price as an OME kit. This is basically equivalent since I went with just standard style springs. I guess they are maybe a medium kit as they are good for 100kg constant load in the back. It will be a similar lift to what I have now. I have 3" now and this should be 2.5-3".

A bit of an odd thing I noticed on the front drive shaft while bolting up the exhaust:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big groove in the front drive shaft at the sway bar. It must have been like this the whole time I've owned the truck. I guess it rubbed the sway bar, or someone, grooved it out rather than buying drop links for the sway bar? I don't know, but it probably explains why I had vibrations at higher speeds when the truck was full time 4wd.

5. IanB

IanB New Member

Dobinsons stuff is getting to be pretty popular in North America lately, didn't really see it at all just a few years ago, but it's been a big name in Australia for ever. I'm sure you'll love it!

That front DS bit is weird, I'll try and check mine in the next couple of days and see what it looks like in comparison. I want to say mine has that clearance as well...we'll see.

6. RyanV

RyanV Member

All of the photos I was able to find online I didn't see a similar groove. I'm just not sure if it is there from wear or if it was done intentionally. It looks like there could be a small dent or wear on the sway bar, but I would think if there was that much wear on the drive shaft there would be more on the sway bar since it would always be rubbing the same location on the sway bar. I should be able to pick up a used replacement relatively cheap. In the mean time, I'm not too worried about it since my truck is rarely in 4wd these days.

7. IanB

IanB New Member

OK, my front driveshaft is different than yours, what you've got still doesn't look like a wear pattern to me though.

FDS.jpg

RyanV likes this.
  8. IanB

IanB New Member

You can see where mine necks down, but it doesn't neck out again like yours...I knew mine had something similar going on, but they aren't the same.