1994 HDJ81 Toyota Land Cruiser

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jul 18, 2013.

1. IanB

IanB New Member

What have you got your wastegate set to? I think the highest I saw on the boost gauge was about 14psi but just for a second. What kind of throttle input would you estimate you were applying when doing your pulls for this video? Like 1/3 or so?

I'd be curious to see a video of you mashing the throttle and holding it to 110km/hr or so, and see what the EGT gauges do under sustained full throttle conditions.

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

It's been a while since I hit max boost, but it's either at 18 or 20psi. With this turbo you (generaly) have to get in the high 2000's RPM to get to the upper boost level. Estimated throttle...Yeah, somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 I'd guess.

I suspect my EGT's will get too high to just run WOT from stop or low speed to 110km/hr. Also, around Vancouver there is usually too much traffic to get enough space to do that in the 80, LOL! I still haven't had time to mess with the preload on the wastegate. I was waiting to finish one project I was on at work because I don't mind driving this rig around in coal dust/mud, but I don't want to drive anything else I own in those conditions. Now that's done, but we are into winter weather so it's more difficult to take the 80 off the road for a week or more at a time while I mess with it.

3. IanB

IanB New Member

If you can't do a WOT pull without your EGT's getting into the danger zone, how do you manage in the mountains? Heading west from the lower mainland there were hills that would see me at max boost/full throttle (or damn near) for like 6 min at a time to maintain 110km/h! It felt like an eternity as I was just getting a feel for the new tune, a bit nerve wracking! Sounds like you've got WAY more fuel than my tune if that's the case, even accounting for your upgraded turbo and intercooler.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  4. RyanV

RyanV Member

I usually run a maximum of about 105 km/hr. I don't think I've seen boost go over about 10psi without locking 3rd on the MMP turbo. When EGT's start to get close to the top, I slow to about 95 and lock 3rd. Obviously, RPMs go way up (about 2600 I think), and boost will also run up to about 12psi + which combines to bring down the EGT's a lot and pretty much immediately on the pre-turbo reading. I can usually maintain this up any hill. I think over the Coq (both ways) there was only one hill each direction where I had to slow down a bit more to 90 or 85 km/hr. From memory I think heading east it was that first climb after Hope and heading west it was the climb out of Merritt.

5. IanB

IanB New Member

Hmmm, with that turbo and IC, you should have quite a bit more power than I'm pushing, which would make it much easier to maintain speed. Makes sense I guess that you wouldn't have to push it as hard as I had to. Any trip I've taken through the mountains with these turbo diesels (my Surf and the LC's), I've had to push them pretty hard to keep up with traffic. The last trip with the ATEB tune pushing 22psi was by far the easiest time as it seemed to breathe much better when pushing hard.

I ran it like this, untouched, for about a year, then dug into the tuning on my own this summer/fall, I've recently backed boost down to 18psi and feel the truck has better power throughout the powerband after my changes, but I'm still able to do a WOT run to 120km/h with EGT's only getting to about 1050F pre-turbo. Intercooler isn't really required on the prairies, I can't find conditions short of strapping it to a dyno that would keep things loaded up long enough to heat soak the engine.

Cant' wait to get my Gturbo installed!

6. RyanV

RyanV Member

That was the interesting thing and part of the learning curve with the new turbo was that if I ran at 100km/hr vs 90 or so up an incline I'd actually have lower EGTs at the higher speed. I guess just due to running higher boost at the higher speed. On the stock CT26 I would already be running max boost at the slower speed, so going faster just caused the EGTs to rocket up.

I'll see if I can do another run up that hill where I took the video and give it some extra throttle for a bit with 3rd locked to see what happens with EGTs. I did one run that didn't make it in the video because there was too much traffic and I gave it a bit of boot for 2 seconds or so and I seem to remember lots of black smoke from the exhaust, but it may have just been on the initial increase to the pedal.

IanB likes this.
  7. RyanV

RyanV Member

Well, it's been 7.5 years and I think I'm finally ahead of the game by purchasing a diesel 80 series rather than a gasser. Total spend to date on my fuelly account is about $14,000:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/land_cruiser/1994/ryanv/99373

But I wasn't tracking from the beginning of ownership. Extrapolating out would be almost $18k in diesel. It's a bit coincidental that these numbers line up this way, but to purchase my cruiser and get it on the road was also about $18,000. A gas model probably could have been purchased for $12,000 (but would have had higher mileage). With about 50% better fuel economy on the diesel (18 mpg vs 12mpg), assuming cost of diesel equals the cost of gasoline I've bridged the $6,000 gap between gas and diesel in the purchase price! :) Of course I've likely spent much more modifying this truck than I would have on a gas model, LOL!

IanB likes this.
  8. IanB

IanB New Member

Do you think you'd still have a gas model 80 if you'd bought one 7-8 years ago? Or would it have been just another vehicle? There's an intangible with the diesel cruisers, they are something special IMO.

RyanV likes this.
  9. RyanV

RyanV Member

Good point and I agree with you. It's hard to say if I would still own an 80 if I had bought a FZJ80, but from looking at it purely from diesel vs gas and fuel economy, I can say I'm now ahead for having purchased a diesel :)

IanB likes this.
  10. RyanV

RyanV Member

Spent some time doing little things on this yesterday...
    • Oil change
    • Tightened up the fan belt as it seemed to have a bit of slack
    • Greased the u-joints and drive shafts
    • Removed the spare tire and carrier and got the carrier prepped for paint
    • Cleaned up the windshield (clean, steel wool then RainX). Made the visibility for the rainy drive this morning WAY better than it's been the last while.

11. RyanV

RyanV Member

All I have time for is one coat per side per night, so it's going to take me all week to get this painted, but it should look much better when it's done. I may regret not painting the mounting points. I didn't feel like spending the time to clean them up and de-greasing the hinges.

[​IMG]

Greg and IanB like this.
  12. RyanV

RyanV Member

Definitely happy with how this turned out. No more scratches, worn spots or rusty looking spots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up doing two coats of paint and sort of 1.5 coats of clear because I ran out. It probably would have looked a bit better if I did the brackets, but in general, no one but me will probably even notice it's been painted.

Greg and IanB like this.
  13. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

That looks awesome? I have some sparkle clear you could do over the top if you want.

14. RyanV

RyanV Member

That's a waste of sparkle clear. If you use that, you want people to see it. Can I use it to paint my bull bar? :p :D