1994 HDJ81 Toyota Land Cruiser

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jul 18, 2013.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

I noticed my right rear wheel was feeling a bit warm, so it's likely the caliper was getting a bit sticky. It never seems to make it through a set of pads before it gets sticky. The good news is that I think I caught it early because my rotors and pads still seemed ok. Since I was already there I decided to rotate the tires since they were over due and preemptively addressed the left rear caliper as well.

While under the truck I noticed I've started to get some pin holes in the exhaust at a few weld locations. I suspected the exhaust might not last a lot longer so I've been watching for a used Fujitsubo system in Japan, but no complete systems have come up. I'm thinking I might get the next partial one that comes up and then I can have a custom downpipe made up at a larger diameter and then taper down to the Fujitsubo size which is 70mm which is also the same as what's on the truck now.

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

I noticed a full used Fujitsubo system in Japan, so I picked it up :) Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to miss the current shippment, so I probably won't actually have it in my hands until the summer :(

IanB likes this.
  3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Spendin' more money...signed up to get a new turbo. Presently, nothing wrong with mine, but the opportunity came up, so I thought I'd go for it. Also, the damn right rear caliper started sticking again, so I parked the truck until I have time to deal with it. I'm going to check the rear wheel bearings while I'm in there, and while it's parked I've pulled out the front seats to have the foam re-done. They'll be dropped off on Monday.

IanB likes this.
  4. IanB

IanB New Member

You got in on that MMP Turbo GB I assume? It's looking like my Gturbo deal has fallen through, so that sucks.

5. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yeah, I decided to give it a try. Not a small amount of money to take some risk on, but if the results come out as advertised I should have similar if not the same performance as a GTurbo Badboy at about 30% less price.

Karter decided to keep his GTurbo or did something else happen?

6. IanB

IanB New Member

Sounds like he came to the logical conclusion that it was silly to build a new turbo and get it all set up on a truck he was just going to put up for sale anyways. That's kind of what I said to him when he told me his plans in the 1st place, but that I'd take his old one if he followed through on it. Pretty disappointing, but his original plan just didn't make sense to me, lol.

7. RyanV

RyanV Member

I finally got around to replacing the rear brakes yesterday. I got the rebuilt calipers placed on and I actually soaked the calipers in vinegar for about a day to get the last bits of rust off. It worked amazingly well. I'll get a photo up later. I think that's how I'm going to clean rust in the future. Just use a wire brush to get big loose items off and then soak in vinegar.

Here's a recap of the clean-up...

Original. I can't remember if I had done anything at this point. I feel like I would have done a quick wire brush before removing the pistons, but I don't remember.

[​IMG]

Here was some work started with the wire wheel.

[​IMG]

And here's how they looked after the vinegar soak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I intended to paint these with high temp paint, but I ran out of time. It was too cold over the winter and now I just had to get the truck back on the road, so these are on the truck like this...with seals and pistons replaced of course :D

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    lenglish and IanB like this.
  8. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Well done, Ryan!

9. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Passivation with acid is great at removing corrosion! I've only used that trick for rad flushes though, good tip!
    Regarding paint- it all seems to flake off eventually. I just brought my last set to the powder coaters instead. Lasts pretty much forever then and costs <$100.

10. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

If pistons are in reusable shape, I would suggest to clean them with Scotch Brite pad, it removes deposits but doesn't damage the metal surface. I used this pad recently on my brake pistons and it was working good.

11. RyanV

RyanV Member

I bought a two part high temp epoxy paint. I'll see how it goes, but maybe I'll just end up powder coating like you suggested. I have two sets of rear calipers now, so theoretically I can get both powder coated and just keep rotating them in. Yes, I get a seized rear caliper that often. I have yet to go through a set of pads before a caliper seizes. One of the downsides of running a negative offset with a spacer to get a flush look and wider more stable stance :p

Thanks for the tip, I'll remember for next time. Both pistons cleaned up really nice, but the one that was seized (on the left in the photos) had some scores, pitting and other marks on it, so I decided it should be tossed rather than reused.

12. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

It is strange it got seized so often. :\

What is your preferred way to lubricate pistons?
    I saw different ways how people lubricate them. Some people just use brake fluid on pistons and only put silicone grease on rubber parts.

I personally use OEM Toyota silicone brake grease 08887-01206 and I apply thin layer of grease on the piston itself as well as on the rubber parts.

RyanV likes this.
  13. RyanV

RyanV Member

This is actually the first set I have rebuilt myself, but I did the same as you suggested. I purchased a rebuild kit with the rubber seals through Toyota and it comes with the synthetic silicone grease like you mentioned. I spread that on the piston prior to sliding it into place. I've been told that rebuilt sets provided by other suppliers will often be stingy with the lubricants and that's why they will seize up rather quickly. I haven't dismantled a rebuilt set to confirm this is the case, but I wouldn't be surprised.

With the spacer and negative offset on my wheels my rear calipers and brakes are fully exposed to get sprayed with salt, grit and anything else that gets kicked up by my front tires. Unless I wash down the brakes on a daily or semi-daily basis in the winter I suspect the seizing is just a by product of the way my truck is presently setup, so, yes, I could change it, but then it just won't look the same...and I'd have to get different wheels because with the negative offset I need the spacer for the wheels to clear the caliper.

14. RyanV

RyanV Member

Working on relocating the amp for my sub in the factory "sub" location. I'm not sure if the factory speaker at this spot was actually a sub. It's so small...I didn't measure but maybe only 6" across. The picture below is with it mocked up. I picked up some aluminum flat bar that I'm going to use for additional support. I'm surprised how solid this actually sits just mounted on the factory bracket. I was originally thinking I'd have to add some more supports to stabilize it, but I think once I get all four corners connected it's going to be ok as it is. I'm also going to get some neoprene to put between the bracket and the amp to provide isolation between the two metal components.

[​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  15. RyanV

RyanV Member

Snapped this pic yesterday when I was on location at a job :)

[​IMG]

The truck is in desperate need of a wash, but it still looks pretty good.

Also this arrived a couple of days ago :D

[​IMG]

No idea when I'll get it installed, but I'm hoping in the next couple of months. I'm also hopefully finishing up the amp/sub relocation tonight. Been WAY too long for such a small job. I keep needing to order small bits, but I should have everything now. I just need to pick up some shrink wrap on the way home.

Pajerist and IanB like this.
  16. IanB

IanB New Member

Very interested to see how that turbo works out!

17. RyanV

RyanV Member

Final install of amp, but I still have a bit of wiring clean up to do.

[​IMG]

I'm actually a bit surprised how solid this is held. I thought I'd have to figure out another support to add on the corner that isn't attached, but it barely flexes. A bit of an oversight though...There is a pocket in the panel that conflicts with the amp. I'll have to remove the pocket which isn't a big deal. The only time I ever used the pocket was when I was camping and sleeping in the back.

18. IanB

IanB New Member

Could you not rotate the amp 90 degrees so the wiring faces the front of the truck and avoid having to mess with the pocket?

RyanV likes this.
  19. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yes, I believe I could, but I'd have to redo the supports and I suspect it will not be held as solid since the amp would be hanging well below the bottom of the old speaker support. Since it's difficult to get any spare time with a 3 month old at home I'm just taking the quick route for now and removing the pocket. I can always reattach it later with rivets.

20. IanB

IanB New Member

Congrats on the new addition! I know what you mean about spare time becoming scarce, lol.