1994 HDJ81 Toyota Land Cruiser

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jul 18, 2013.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

I noticed this on the Amazon.com website today:

Warranty, Parts: Optima warrants to the original purchaser that this battery is free of defects in material and workmanship for a 36 month replacement period when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. If a replacement is necessary due to a defect in materials and/or workmanship the battery will be replaced free of charge, within the free replacement period from date of original purchase. Please contact Amazon Customer Service with your warranty claim. For purchases from Amazon Merchant sellers please contact the seller directly for warranty support.

So purchasing through Amazon.com should be ok. I'd just have to deal with the hassle and downtime of going through Amazon.com.

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

Nothing that special...just a lookout location between Oliver and Keremeos.

[​IMG]

I love it when I get paid to drive for work :D

IanB likes this.
  3. RyanV

RyanV Member

As per the thread on batteries I picked up the Motomaster AGM batteries rather than Optima. They have a better warranty (5 years full replacement) and were cheaper. I got around to removing the old ones yesterday that have leaked acid and caused corrosion on the tie downs and I had to break two of them off since the nuts were seized. New tie downs and other parts arrived from Partsouq, so I'm ready to put new stuff in. I cheaped out on the tie down bars though. I'm going to sand those down and respray rather than buying new. I think it was something like $13USD for each bar. With the batteries out I cleaned up the battery trays and adjacent areas with battery acid with Baking Soda. Sorry, no pics :(

Did an oil change as well yesterday since it was one of only two days this month where it wasn't raining during the day. I should be good until spring now before the next change :)

Since I've already parked the truck to do the work above I'm going to go into the tank and check the fuel pick up as well. I'll need to remove the rear seats and pull up the carpet to access the top of the fuel tank. I might get around to installing the Dynamat around the rear wheel wells at the same time, but I suspect I'll wait to do that.

IanB likes this.
  4. IanB

IanB New Member

Are you digging into the tank just to check it out, or is there some symptom you're trying to track down the source of?

5. RyanV

RyanV Member

No problems, having a look just because I've wanted to ever since Christian posted that thread about his truck on ih8mud. He was having issues at the time though. Given I'm over 250k kms now it's probably worth a look.

IanB likes this.
  6. RyanV

RyanV Member

I had time off this afternoon so I had a look at the fuel pick up. Lots of dirt on top of the lid, so I had to clean that off so I didn't knock a bunch of dirt/dust in the tank when I pulled the lid off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pick up and tank were clean! I guess it's a good thing, but it does feel like a bit of a waste of time as a result. Still glad I checked it though.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    IanB likes this.
  7. RyanV

RyanV Member

New batteries are in and I sanded and resprayed both battery tie down bars. They were all corroded with paint peeling off after the old battery acid got on them:

[​IMG]

As per my other post, for $13 USD each it probably wasn't worth my time to repaint them and everything, but there is some satisfaction from it :) I'm going to use the same paint to respray the windshield wipers and maybe the lid on the air box.

A pic from a drive to work one day last week :) Added a Brave Auto sticker to the rear window for JDM crowd "Cred" LOL!

[​IMG]

robbieg, lenglish and IanB like this.
  8. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Majestic!

9. IanB

IanB New Member

I had my tie-downs sandblasted and powdercoated last fall, they are starting to corrode again already. I'd just replace them next time, but no point until I get batteries that won't cause them to just corrode again. Can't stomach shelling out for AGM's when I have perfectly functioning batteries that are only a few years old though.

10. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yeah, my truck was still starting ok, so it felt a bit stupid to buy new batteries when the ones I had were still working. However, when I checked the voltage after sitting for a few days they were low, so I changed them to prevent getting stranded.

In talks with GTurbo right now. I was expecting expensive, but it's REALLY expensive. CAD has come back against AUD lately, so I'll keep my eye on the exchange rate. Also it's getting closer to the holiday season where there's more expenses. I'm not presently in need of a new turbo, but I figure it's getting a bit long in the tooth since it's the original with over 250,000kms and I've been boosting more than stock since about 140,000 kms.

11. IanB

IanB New Member

I thought I'd seen about $2200CAN after shipping, is that in the ballpark? I'd love one as well, but I've been spending like a sailor on leave as of late and need to step back for a while, lol.

12. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yes, that's about right since AUD-CAD are usually about 1:1 exchange rate. It varies a bit depending on which turbo you do with as well. I think when I bought my part time kit from Marks out of Australia it was about 1.08 CAD = 1 AUD and that was about a year ago. I can't remember what the rate is for duty, but after taxes and duty I'm sure it's about $2500 plus install. Since the turbo would already be off I'm also thinking of changing out the ATEB exhaust for a stainless steel Fujitsubo one. The Fujitsubo doesn't run inside the frame and it exits straight out the back, but that doesn't really matter to me. The diameter of both systems is the same.

13. RyanV

RyanV Member

I scored an ARC intake for the 80 this week. I'm certain it will flow more air, but it doesn't connect to the stock intake location outside the fender. There are two filters on it and it will be located in the engine bay, so I don't know if it will help at all since it will be pulling warmer air from the engine bay. It will be a while before I find out too since it will be 2-3 months before it gets here.

14. IanB

IanB New Member

Interesting...do you have any pics of this unicorn? Yahoo auctions?

15. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yes, and yes!

I didn't know ARC did an intake for the 80 until I stumbled on this one this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  16. IanB

IanB New Member

If you ever come across an OEM Toyota rear hatch visor on there to match my window visors, please let me know.

17. RyanV

RyanV Member

Like this one?

http://shop.cruiserparts.net/index....id=996&zenid=b5c1d41a0fccbfcd0fda9c93e769f5fe

It's probably cheaper to buy it from cruiser parts than bring it in from Japan. Unless you are bringing a car in and it gets shipped with the vehicle. JCruisers would probably be a fee of $75, plus domestic shipping in Japan, plus taxes here, plus shipping here...doubt it would be worth it.

18. IanB

IanB New Member

No, I'm looking for this style, matches the side window ones.

PICT0020b.jpg

19. RyanV

RyanV Member

-10C this morning which is pretty cold for around here. I'm glad I got those new batteries! I'm sure I would have been stranded in one of the recent cold mornings if I hadn't.

20. RyanV

RyanV Member

Photo at sunset from before we got all the cold weather and snow.

[​IMG]

With the weather and conditions we've had I just have the hubs locked all the time right now. CDL goes on and off through my commute depending on the condition of each road.